windows background color could not be changed. RRS feed

• Question

• i just update from vista to win7 rtm.

i use the theme: windows 7 basic.

i want to change the backgroud color of window, then click "window Color" at the bottom of Personalizaiton; then change the window color from white to other color.

after apply this setting, i found "windows explorer" color is still white, which mean when you browse Files and Folders, the background color is still white, but in winXP and Vista are not like this.

any help?

铅笔小新
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

When you change the color of window at Windows Color and Appearance panel, it applies to applications such as notepad, word. However, it doesn't change the background color for Windows Explorer. I need to say it is by design. To meet your requirements, you can use some third party software such as Explorer Background Changer to apply this setting.

Best Regards.

Dale Qiao

• Proposed as answer by cym104 Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:58 AM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

When you change the color of window at Windows Color and Appearance panel, it applies to applications such as notepad, word. However, it doesn't change the background color for Windows Explorer. I need to say it is by design. To meet your requirements, you can use some third party software such as Explorer Background Changer to apply this setting.

Best Regards.

Dale Qiao

• Proposed as answer by cym104 Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:58 AM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:57 AM
  • i just try this: Explorer Background Changer

it does not work on windows7

铅笔小新
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 5:34 AM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately, the above third party software doesn't work. Have you tried in Windows Vista compatibility mode? Since this software is designed for Windows Vista originally.

BTW, though this feature is by design, I'd like to forward your feedback to our related DEV team for continuously developing products that meet our cutomer needs. Your suggestion will be taken seriously. Thanks for your efforts and understanding.

Best Regards.

Dale Qiao

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:33 AM
  • OMG, the white Windows Explorer background color is frying my eyes. Some people have sensitivity to white light. Is there some way in the registry to change this for the Aero theme? I am using the classic theme now to get around this.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 1:06 PM
  • I find it quite telling about Microsoft's development mentality that they have been moving away from using the customization features that have always been a mainstay of Windows and instead simply coding their newer applications to use whatever themes they like themselves.

Case in point:  Aero in general.  And of course the Explorer background as you have pointed out in this thread, 铅笔小新.

I assume it's more difficult to program an application that allows the user to choose all the colors, and that there will be times when the user's choices could conflict or make it difficult to see certain things.  And I'm sure it makes Windows system testing more difficult/expensive.

But I thought that's why Microsoft got the big bucks for this software.

As Microsoft thinks all Windows users are dummies (it's probably not a bad assumption that a majority of users are dummies, but not all), they have chosen to simply remove those troublesome options, and just tell us that the UI is the way it is by design.  Gee, thanks.  Now you're alienating your smart and capable users, Microsoft.  THAT's a good idea...  NOT!

The bottom line is there are some of us who think that the user interface Microsoft has provided by default is lacking and in many ways just plain flawed.  There used to be ways to fix that.  Now there are fewer.  Is this progress?

-Noel

Friday, October 2, 2009 3:10 PM
  • I want to use Microsoft's file explorer (At least right now), but I must have a background other than the blasted 255 255 255.  This is ridiculous.  I should be able to use Aero with a configurable background that doesn't fry my retina.  Win 7 users rise up.  I haven't encountered many problems with this OS, but this simple fix must be considered by MS.  I don't accept the "by design" bit.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:35 AM
  • if you like to have a fixed background and text colour then you can modify your shellstyle.dll.
    do this solution only if it is very important [for your needs--> health neccecity, eyes etc as this is not the best solution]
    first save to a safe place your  original microsoft  shellstyle.dll  ,  copy it from
    C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero\Shell\NormalColor   to  a  safe  folder  .
    then copy it again lets say to your desktop. Open your shellstyle.dll with freeware resource hacker ( http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/  ),   
    select view , find text and writte : <if id="atom(clientviewhost)">
    you will see this
    -----------------------------------

</if>

<if id="atom(clientviewhost)">

<ViewHost

foreground="windowtext"

background="themeable(gtc(ItemsView, 0, 0, 3802), window)"

sortcolumn="themeable(gtc(ItemsView, 0, 0, 3802), window)"

subtext="ARGB(255, 139, 139, 139)"

/>
    ------------------------------------------

the  background parameter gives you the background color,  if you like to have a fixed color then change this from:

background="themeable(gtc(ItemsView, 0, 0, 3802), window)"        to be

background="themeable(ARGB(255, ---, ---, ---), window)"       the  ---   is the rgb  color you like.

so i choose for you a colour[if you dont like find your favourite] so lets say  a  216, 232, 242  so background will be as:

background="themeable(ARGB(255, 216, 232, 242), window)"

then replace the values to look like

</if>

<ViewHost

foreground="windowtext"

/>
    then select again view , find next and again replace the <if id="atom(clientviewhost)"> as many times this exist.
    then select compile script, and save it.  [ you can also change the text color to a fixed color changing the parameter  foreground="windowtext" to a parameter like  foreground="windowtext"   to  foreground="themeable(ARGB(255, 252, 252, 252), windowtext)"   or foreground="themeable(ARGB(255, 128, 128, 128), windowtext)"  or whatever color you like]

after save it you replace your original shellstyle.dll  from your  C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero\Shell\NormalColor   if you use the aero theme
    as the source of your experiment. restart to see your changes.
     do that on your own risc.

------

if you have vista style builder[its a program  http://www.vistastylebuilder.com/download.html   that make visual styles also compatible with windows 7 its ease to change the background color --->if i remember well, it is the fil color on Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View > ItemsView 

----------------
    but if i want more  there was the application for vista which i do nt know if it works on 7 or if its the same like that reffered [or  if run on compatibility mode or non run anyway] ,   Vista Folder Background   http://www.aveapps.com/folderbg.html

i have also given my oppinion  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/c8792348-b57c-4c75-9fa8-ff0650105fb9  ,and asked if microsoft could make an application that controls the whole interface system , because this is the right solution, as there also users asked different things for the interface looking.

---------

if you like to you system have background like those exist on mac  background look like stripes,but also to work on mac style [different background for the text(blue) from the background of the folder(gray)]  then its possible via changed many parameters on internal microsoft code parameters plus modifying the visual style,plus many other things , but it was and is extreme difficult to be made and to be finish[its 1 year work only the modifications of code, as i have used the images from my visual styles i made on past for vista] , but please dont ask me how i did or when  it finish or if i succeed to finish it.
    have a look to my screenshots  http://zeusosx.deviantart.com/art/WINDOWS-7-by-ZEUSosX-141088122

---

• Proposed as answer by CookenBoo Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:38 AM
    • Edited by ZEUSosX Sunday, October 2, 2011 8:50 AM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 10:24 AM
  • Thanks, ZEUSosX (I'll try your solution later)

This might help for anyone trying to change the Windows Explorer background:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/06/07/windows-7-folder-background-changer/

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-7-folder-background-changer-released

Monday, June 7, 2010 11:36 PM
  • if you like to have a fixed background and text colour then you can modify your shellstyle.dll.
    do this solution only if it is very important [for your needs--> health neccecity, eyes etc as this is not the best solution]
    first save to a safe place your  original microsoft  shellstyle.dll  ,  copy it from
    C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero\Shell\NormalColor   to  a  safe  folder  .
    then copy it again lets say to your desktop. Open your shellstyle.dll with freeware resource hacker ( http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/  ),   
    select view , find text and writte : <if id="atom(clientviewhost)">
    you will see this

</if>

<ViewHost

foreground="windowtext"

background="themeable(gtc(ItemsView, 0, 0, 3802), window)"

/>

the  background parameter gives you the background color,  if you like to have a fixed color then change this from:

background="themeable(gtc(ItemsView, 0, 0, 3802), window)"        to be

background="themeable(ARGB(255, ---, ---, ---), window)"       the  ---   is the rgb  color you like.

so i choose for you a colour[if you dont like find your favourite] so lets say  a  216, 232, 242  so background will be as:

then replace the values to look like

</if>

<ViewHost

foreground="windowtext"

/>
    then select again view , find next and again replace the <if id="atom(clientviewhost)"> as many times this exist.
    then select compile script, and save it.  [ you can also change the text color to a fixed color changing the parameter  foreground="windowtext" to a parameter like  foreground="windowtext"   to  foreground="themeable(ARGB(255, 252, 252, 252), windowtext)"   or foreground="themeable(ARGB(255, 128, 128, 128), windowtext)"  or whatever color you like]

after save it you replace your original shellstyle.dll  from your  C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero\Shell\NormalColor   if you use the aero theme
    as the source of your experiment. restart to see your changes.
     do that on your own risc.

------

if you have vista style builder[its a program  http://www.vistastylebuilder.com/download.html   that make visual styles also compatible with windows 7 its ease to change the background color --->if i remember well, it is the fil color on Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View > ItemsView 

----------------
    but if i want more  there was the application for vista which i do nt know if it works on 7 or if its the same like that reffered [or  if run on compatibility mode or non run anyway] ,   Vista Folder Background   http://www.aveapps.com/folderbg.html

i have also given my oppinion  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/c8792348-b57c-4c75-9fa8-ff0650105fb9  ,and asked if microsoft could make an application that controls the whole interface system , because this is the right solution, as there also users asked different things for the interface looking.

---------

if you like to you system have background like those exist on mac  background look like stripes,but also to work on mac style [different background for the text(blue) from the background of the folder(gray)]  then its possible via changed many parameters on internal microsoft code parameters plus modifying the visual style,plus many other things , but it was and is extreme difficult to be made and to be finish[its 1 year work only the modifications of code, as i have used the images from my visual styles i made on past for vista] , but please dont ask me how i did or when  it finish or if i succeed to finish it.
    have a look to my screenshots  http://zeusosx.deviantart.com/art/WINDOWS-7-by-ZEUSosX-141088122

---

Respected ZEUSosX, Many Many Many Thanks to you, After googling a lot, finally my problem is solved here, Again Thank You Very Much.........................You Are Great..................................................

But How can I change the white background of left pane of win explorer i.e. left pane in which documents, library, computer options etc.. are shown?

Friday, September 7, 2012 8:49 AM
  • Many thanks for best and working answer from someone who actually has knowledge to do so , this is one of things bugging me for long time.

I would also hope that if MS wants to impress people, they have to keep OS optional, instead of removing them. And i'm not writing this as general repeat opinion, i have literally used about 13 functions in XP which have been removed in 7. Only reason i wanted 7 is directX, otherwise i can work easier in XP, mainly due to navigation and handling advantages XP had and were removed in further versions. But enough crying.

For those who don't do these things to often, it's very easy to accidentally mistype or copy/paste something incomplete. It happen to me long time ago with either shellstyle or theme file resulting in nothing but black screen at all times. Once you don't see nothing you are left with much fewer options. I guess easiest fix would be to connect your HD to other machine and paste your backup, i believe i used BartPE to do the same. So be sure you do have backup at least.

Saturday, October 18, 2014 12:11 AM