none
DPM 2010 - Secondary Server RRS feed

• Question

• Where can I find detailed information and documentation on using a Secondary Server with DPM 2010 ? I am concerned about backup of my primary DPM server and how to continue backups or recovery in case the primary goes down. I assume that the Secondary Server could be a virtual as opposed to the physical primary server too, correct ?

What about the SQL database that DPM 2010 relies on ? Should this also be backed-up somewhere else or should I stop using the standalone SQL and switch to a real SQL database running on a dedicated server ?

Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:36 PM

Answers

•  

In DPM 2010 - it's as easy as right-clicking a protected data source on the secondary DPM server and choosing the switch-protection option. That will make the secondary act as the primary and continue protection. 

Yes, you can use a virtual server as the secondary DPM server, and ideally, you would use the secondary to backup the primary DPMDB.

Documentation is available at the following site: Download Data Protection Manager 2010 Documentation http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff833813.aspx

Look in the DPMv3OperationsGuide.docx

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 6:58 PM

All replies

•  

In DPM 2010 - it's as easy as right-clicking a protected data source on the secondary DPM server and choosing the switch-protection option. That will make the secondary act as the primary and continue protection. 

Yes, you can use a virtual server as the secondary DPM server, and ideally, you would use the secondary to backup the primary DPMDB.

Documentation is available at the following site: Download Data Protection Manager 2010 Documentation http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff833813.aspx

Look in the DPMv3OperationsGuide.docx

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 6:58 PM
  • There is also an opt to use i365 EVault for DPM for (cloud) replication. This has both dedup and compression as well as BMR so the 2nd server can be used as a true DR solution even in 'the cloud' See i365.com\microsoft
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 11:43 AM