none
Malware Functionality in MS Exchange 2013

Answers

• Hi,

How is everthing going?

If there is anything unclear, feel free to let me know. If the reply helps, kindly mark it as answer, and that will be helpful for other cmmmunity members who have the same problem.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Debmallya Monday, April 8, 2019 11:56 AM
    Monday, April 1, 2019 11:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I got the same result in my lab. This is an expected result.

As per my research, the file is a text file of between 68 and 128 bytes that is a legitimate executable file called a COM file. To test the Anti-Virus program, a file containing the EICAR test string can be compressed or archived, and then the antivirus software can be run to see whether it can detect the test string in the compressed file.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, March 21, 2019 9:56 AM
  • Hi Dawn,

Thanks for the answer. Is there any way to detect and not allow the malware file during upload in outlook rather than automatically deleting by exchange malware during message transport?

I am giving an example. Suppose I am switching off my systems local antivirus and uploading the EICAR.txt in outlook to send it or may be saving the same in Draft. Is there any way to prevent it during uploading or saving in draft? It is getting deleted during the mail flow as expected. But still the item is in sent items. Is there any way to prevent it from being in sent items also?

Please advise.

Friday, March 22, 2019 6:12 PM
  • Hi ,

Please let me know if any advise for same

Sunday, March 24, 2019 1:43 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for late reply.

As far as I understand, Malware scanning is performed on messages sent to or received from a mailbox server. It is not triggered when a email is composed or saved as draft. Additionally, there is no Exchange built-in feature can prevent email from being sent. Both filter agents and rules are working in message transport process. If you need to detect malware before message delivery, I'd recommend you look for a 3rd party solution. 

For your reference:

Anti-malware FAQ

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 7:29 AM
  • Hi,

How is everthing going?

If there is anything unclear, feel free to let me know. If the reply helps, kindly mark it as answer, and that will be helpful for other cmmmunity members who have the same problem.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

• Marked as answer by Debmallya Monday, April 8, 2019 11:56 AM
    Monday, April 1, 2019 11:53 AM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for reply. From the FAQ link I was checking the anti malware download engine. Is the following URL exists anymore?

http://forefrontdl.microsoft.com/server/scanengineupdate

Monday, April 8, 2019 1:35 PM
  • Hi,

As are as I aware, yes, it still exists. If you encounter some issues, please refer to the link below and follow the steps to download the engine.

Exchange 2013 Malware Engine Updates Troubleshooting

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 9:49 AM