none
Project Server 2013 Locking Tasks for Timesheet Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

What I found out that the new functionality to lock tasks is in PWA only. What happens if one needs to lock tasks on a Master Schedule. Master Schedules cannot be edited in PWA. So how does one lock tasks for timesheet if the task is in a Master Schedule?

Monday, February 2, 2015 7:18 AM

Answers

• Gordon,

I agree that Master Projects should have a way to get the tasks locked. 

Having said that, Setting Publish to No is a very viable option.

I have recently tested this when answering another question, and it should not have an effect on the reporting. Even with Publish as NO, the relevant tables all get populated in the Reporting Database.

I suggest that you test this yourself.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

• Marked as answer by Zoollager Wednesday, February 4, 2015 11:33 PM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 10:57 AM
  • Hi Gordon_Lewis,

You could insert the "publish" column in MS Project and set the value to NO for the given tasks. Then the task will not be accessible for timesheeting.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Monday, February 2, 2015 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Gordon_Lewis,

You could insert the "publish" column in MS Project and set the value to NO for the given tasks. Then the task will not be accessible for timesheeting.

Hope this helps,

Monday, February 2, 2015 4:26 PM
  • This reply just re-iterates that Microsoft again have not thought this through properly.

We have built reporting and setting Publish to No could have effects that reporting. If the data is effected and reports not trusted....well no point having the EPM solution.

Monday, February 2, 2015 11:32 PM
  • Hi,

Then your solution would be to set the booking type of the tasks' assignments to "proposed" versus "committed" by default. If you reqd this MPUG article, you'll see that it will make tasks unvisible in timesheets.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 6:53 AM
  • Well both suggestions above are in complete contradiction to this article from Microsoft.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh694531(v=office.14)

Taken from Section 5 of article

"Project managers may find the Publish and Booking Type fields helpful for controlling task and resource visibility. The Publish field can be used to control which tasks are visible in Project Web App, and the Booking Type field can be used to control which resources are visible during the resource planning process. However, be aware that these fields are part of the early planning process. They are not designed for limiting users’ ability to continue to track time on a particular task. If the Publish and Booking Type fields are used incorrectly, they can result in the removal of task entries from a user’s timesheet or task status. This is especially critical because the removal of task entries may mean the loss of submitted time."

There does not seem to be a proper solution and this is bad for an enterprise project management system.

But thanks for your response Guillaume.  

Gordon

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 1:13 AM
  • Hi Gordon,

Indeed Microsoft shares in this article a good practice saying that those 2 fields are meant to be used in an early planning phase and are not intended to control the assignments/tasks visibility. Moreover it is true that if all users haven't submitted their timesheet on friday and if the PM changes the booking type on monday morning, the users will loose their time entry.

In conclusion, I would say that evenif it should be used carefully with a full understanding of the consequences, those 2 fields (particularly the booking type) seem to suit to your need.

Hope you'll find a way to solve your issue. That being said, evenif it was not the reply you were expected, could you please give credit to any helpful replies so other users can refer to the thread.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 8:22 AM
  • Gordon,

I agree that Master Projects should have a way to get the tasks locked. 

Having said that, Setting Publish to No is a very viable option.

I have recently tested this when answering another question, and it should not have an effect on the reporting. Even with Publish as NO, the relevant tables all get populated in the Reporting Database.

I suggest that you test this yourself.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 10:57 AM
  • Thanks Prasanna and Guillaume.

Timesheeet information is used for financial reconcilliation and audit hence the discomfort. Really appreciate your views and points. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will go try what u have suggested.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 11:32 PM