none
Irregular resource usage RRS feed

• Question

• (following a different topic, where there does not seem to be a solution...)

I would like to have one project with all my others projects as tasks, but not sub projects.

There I assign resources to tasks (really other projects) and then for each project each resource is available according to this master project. 

Can I manually split assignments of resources to tasks, so that for example a certain resource works 30% on one task from January 1 to March 31 - and 70% on a different task. Then from April 1 he will stop working on the first task and work 100% on the second task. 

I know this can be done manually by using sub tasks, but is it possible to do directly?

I am using MS Project 2013, (service pack 1), not server.

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Monday, March 24, 2014 10:02 AM

Answers

• Hi Valgardur,

Have you consider using the resource usage view? This will allow you doing what you want on a single task, without having to split it into various sub-tasks. This view shows on the left part all tasks per resources with assignment fields and on the right part a "Excel-like" timephased grid you can enter work in.

In the "view" tab of the ribbon, you can set the timescale to "week" or "month" then type directly in the grid a certain number of hours of planned work per resources per time period. Splitting your window to display the resource graph in the bottom part is also very useful.

Below a screenshot (unfortunately in french):

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Monday, March 24, 2014 12:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Valgardur,

Have you consider using the resource usage view? This will allow you doing what you want on a single task, without having to split it into various sub-tasks. This view shows on the left part all tasks per resources with assignment fields and on the right part a "Excel-like" timephased grid you can enter work in.

In the "view" tab of the ribbon, you can set the timescale to "week" or "month" then type directly in the grid a certain number of hours of planned work per resources per time period. Splitting your window to display the resource graph in the bottom part is also very useful.

Below a screenshot (unfortunately in french):

Hope this helps.

Monday, March 24, 2014 12:58 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.. I have seen this view but I didn't realise it was for editing (yes, I know...)

This is probably easier than subtasks, although still not exactly what I was hoping for..

I'll try this for the next few days...

Best wishes,

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Monday, March 24, 2014 1:03 PM
  • You're more than welcome.

Please try this (I personnaly work a lot with usage views) ans come back to us to see if it fits your need.

Cheers.

Monday, March 24, 2014 1:11 PM
  • Thanks, this is actually very useful, although a bit more manual work than I was hoping for, but the flexibility outweights that...

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Monday, March 24, 2014 2:52 PM