none
Event ID 9782 backup completed with errors, no logs truncated RRS feed

• Question

• Running EX2010 with DPM and for the past month been getting 9782 errors on my Mailbox server. In DPM, however, the backup looks fine for both the MB and the PF. Prior all backups and log truncations worked fine..nothing has changed otehr than the normal windows updates for servers (no exchange patches).

Exchange VSS Writer (instance 8e0e8c45-d572-4340-bc71-17950ca2681b:22) has completed the backup of database 'Public Folder Database 0782458743' with errors. The backup did not complete successfully, and no log files were truncated for this database.

Exchange VSS Writer (instance 8e0e8c45-d572-4340-bc71-17950ca2681b:22) has completed the backup of database 'Mailbox Database 0708454416' with errors. The backup did not complete successfully, and no log files were truncated for this database.

Monday, July 9, 2012 6:21 PM

Answers

• Run DiskShadow - then List Writers - and look at the "SYSTEM Writer" list to see what files are on E: volume that you want to exclude from critical volumes list.

Install this hotfix.
    980794  System state backup error in Windows Server 2008, in Windows Vista, in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2: "Enumeration of the files failed"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;980794

Then using the information from the list writers output - enter the image paths for the offending files to exclude them from the backup.  Once you do this the E: volume should not be listed in the output of the list writers, or the command.

wbadmin.exe start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:C:

Click Start , type regedit in the Search programs and files box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password, type the password. If you are prompted for confirmation, provide confirmation.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SystemWriter

Note If this registry subkey does not exist, please create it manually.

On the Edit menu, point to New , and then click Multi-String Value .

Type ExcludedBinaryPaths , and then press ENTER. Note

Right-click ExcludedBinaryPaths , and then click Modify .

In the Value data box, type all binary paths that should be excluded from the system state backup operation, and then click OK .

Note The binary paths should be absolute paths. They should not include environment variables (such as %windir%) and should not be enclosed in double or single quoation marks.

Exit Registry Editor.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:56 PM

All replies

• just want to add that the scheduled time for the backups on DPM corresponding to the MB servers event log, i get no errors (for both the MB and PF backups). I then checked to see what on DPM runs at the time I'm seeing the log truncation errors on the MB server and its the system state backup..strange??
    Monday, July 9, 2012 6:47 PM
  • Hi,

It seems like the errors can be ignored because most likely BMR backup is including a volume used for exchange, but probably not all volumes used for exchange, so the exchage backup is not valid.  However, DPM exchange backups are good, so the errors can be ignored.

If you want to confirm my hunch do the following:

1) Set up a network share on a remote machine \\server\bmrshare

2) From an administrative command prompt on the PS, type:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare

This should show you the list of volumes included in the BMR backup and ask "Do you want to start the backup operation?.  Say No, but look to see if any of the volumes listed contain exchange files, if so, that is the cause.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 9, 2012 7:59 PM
  • mike,

the problem is is that i never do bmr's was only doing the system state option...would it still be the same issue?

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:09 AM
  • Hi,

Potentially yes, same issue, so try this command line instead.

Then see what volumes are included.  if you find one of the exchange volumes, look at the "System Writer" output from the diskshadow list writers command and see if you can locate file and path for that that volume, then exclude it using the registry entry.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:26 PM
  • YEs, the E volume was listed which contains excahnge files. Not sure why E is listed if the system files are on C: but anyway. where do i find the System Writer output?  also, if you don't think that this has a "bad" effect on the DB then I will leave it alone and let the logs get cleaned and truncated when the normal exchange backup runs.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:34 PM
  • Run DiskShadow - then List Writers - and look at the "SYSTEM Writer" list to see what files are on E: volume that you want to exclude from critical volumes list.

Install this hotfix.
    980794  System state backup error in Windows Server 2008, in Windows Vista, in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2: "Enumeration of the files failed"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;980794

Then using the information from the list writers output - enter the image paths for the offending files to exclude them from the backup.  Once you do this the E: volume should not be listed in the output of the list writers, or the command.

Click Start , type regedit in the Search programs and files box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password, type the password. If you are prompted for confirmation, provide confirmation.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SystemWriter

Note If this registry subkey does not exist, please create it manually.

On the Edit menu, point to New , and then click Multi-String Value .

Type ExcludedBinaryPaths , and then press ENTER. Note

Right-click ExcludedBinaryPaths , and then click Modify .

In the Value data box, type all binary paths that should be excluded from the system state backup operation, and then click OK .

Note The binary paths should be absolute paths. They should not include environment variables (such as %windir%) and should not be enclosed in double or single quoation marks.

Exit Registry Editor.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:56 PM
  • okay, I will try that. Does it hurt anything to not have the logs truncated that one time a week and then they are truncated when the excahnge backup comes along?
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Also when i checked the list writers|system writer, I only do see the E:\program files\exchange2010\bin directory and not the mailbox.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:29 PM
  • Other than spamming the event log, there is no harm caused by systemstate backup not truncating the logs, however, be aware that when you restore a SystemState, it will also include the files from exchange, and that may not be a good thing unless you also perform an exchange restore on top of the systemstate restore.  I would fix the problems and get rid of the errors.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Understood, jsut strange that the ststem writeres don't list the exchange mailbox.

thanks

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:20 PM