VCF Backing Store RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Been having some issues with steady state, after setting up the computer, i  have attempted to clone htis partition for an image.

after running netrestore/winclone over it, i have been getting the same error.

VCF Backing store is corrupt!

this only flashesd on the screen for about 1/2 a second then shows blue screen of death and will restart with the option to go into safe mode.

I go into safe mode start steady state and it says some cache file is corrupt, do you wish to delete the cache and rebuild, remove disk protection and a 3rd i cant remeber.

I chose to rebuild but it asked to defragment the drive, so i just stopped disk protection and restarted and all fixed. Had to go into steady state and turn it back on, but basically all is good.

Has anyone got the same issue as this? Anyone Got a fix for it?? I need to roll this image out to 100 computers and really dont want to go to each individually and muck around with them for 15mins each.

Thanks in Advance
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 12:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From the problem description, it seemed that the Windows Disk Protection (WDP) has been enabled before capturing the image. It is important to note that VCFFltr.sys (the driver that implements the disk protection) manages a list of file fragments that make up the cache file and a list of sectors to exclude from caching. It is not recommended to enable WDP before capturing an image. Please create a new image with WDP disabled to see if the problem is still there.

Also you can refer to this thread for more related information: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1815384&SiteID=69

Sincerely,
    Sammy Yu

Thursday, July 5, 2007 12:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From the problem description, it seemed that the Windows Disk Protection (WDP) has been enabled before capturing the image. It is important to note that VCFFltr.sys (the driver that implements the disk protection) manages a list of file fragments that make up the cache file and a list of sectors to exclude from caching. It is not recommended to enable WDP before capturing an image. Please create a new image with WDP disabled to see if the problem is still there.

Also you can refer to this thread for more related information: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1815384&SiteID=69

Sincerely,
    Sammy Yu

Thursday, July 5, 2007 12:00 PM
  • The VCF backing store file, also called the WDP cache file, is very sensitive to its physical layout on the hard disk.  If the imaging solution you use does not duplicate the exact layout of the clusters used by this file, you'll get the cache file corrupt warning, and WDP will be disabled.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:02 PM