none
Summary task not at 100% even though subtasks are all at 100% RRS feed

• Question

• MS Project Pro 2010, only using server to store files

Project has about 10 tasks rolled up to a summary task.  Each of the sub-tasks is 100% complete, summary indicates 99%.

All tasks were auto-scheduled, end dates have passed, each task has been marked at 100% and has a completion check in the indicator column.

So why doesn't the summary task show 100%?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Betty in NJ
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Thanks for confirming that my expections were correct.

I selected the summary task and marked it as 100% using the button on the task ribbon, and it worked.

Given that, I'll mark the issue closed... thanks for your feedback.

Betty in NJ
    • Marked as answer by Betty in NJ Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:56 PM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Betty,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project forum:)

I suspect you have a milestone under the summary – set it to 100% also.

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:  http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm.

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :)

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Hi Mike,

There are 2 milestones, both are already at 100%, as are all the tasks.

I had something flaky like this happen before with a manually scheduled task, but these are all auto-scheduled.

I was able to force the summary task to 100%, which resolves the immediate issue for management reporting, but don't understand why it didn't go to 100% automatically as I had expected it to.

Or were my expectations wrong?

Thanks.

Betty in NJ
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Your expectations were correct, Betty.  How did you force the summary to 100%?

Mike Glen
    Project MVP
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for confirming that my expections were correct.

I selected the summary task and marked it as 100% using the button on the task ribbon, and it worked.

Given that, I'll mark the issue closed... thanks for your feedback.

Betty in NJ
    • Marked as answer by Betty in NJ Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:56 PM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:56 PM
  • You're welcome, Betty :-)

Mike Glen

MS Project MVP

See  http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Mike - You never answered Betty's question and you didn't read her original post properly - if you had you would have answered her question and if you don't understand the question then just say so. I have exactly the same problem as Betty where all sub tasks/milestones whatever are at 100% complete yet the summary only shows it as 99% complete - WHY ? Is there still a bug in MS Project ?
    Friday, March 9, 2018 11:29 AM
  • NS UK,

This is pretty old thread and I think Mike did read Betty's post correctly. Mike responded with the most likely cause for this type of problem but then Betty "resolved" the issue herself without any further information that allowed Mike to give further guidance. And she marked Mike's response as the answer so from her point of view the issue was resolved.

Now let's address your issue. First of all, what version of Project are you using? Is it fully updated?

Before we can address your issue we"ll need more information. Is calculation set to auto (i.e. "on")? If not, you will see this exact problem. Are all the subtasks auto-scheduled or are some manually scheduled? Display the Duration and Actual Duration fields. You say all subtasks are at 100%. Does the actual duration of each subtask equal the duration of that subtask? If that is not the case for one or more subtasks, what else is different about those subtasks (e.g. split, start, actual start, finish, actual finish, etc.)? A screen shot would be very helpful.

John

Friday, March 9, 2018 4:41 PM
  • ...and if you check the tracking table, does every task and milestone have both an actual start date/time and an actual finish date/time?
    Saturday, March 10, 2018 1:29 AM
  • I had this exact issue. Is there a resource name attached to the summary task? Delete this resource from that column - resources should only be added to the individual sub tasks. Once the resource name is deleted form the summary task it will go to 100%. Assuming of course the above issues have been reoslved such as auto scheduling etc..... I knwo the thread is old but this hopefully helps someone who searches for this after me :)
    Thursday, March 5, 2020 10:41 AM