Disk Defragmenter RRS feed

• Question

• My son's computer is having trouble with Disk defragmenter, disk defragmenter will start but it will never stop unless the action is cancelled, if allowed it will run for days. Disk defragmenter is on a once a week schedule, but never finishes. System properties are; Windows Vista Home Basic, 32-bit operating system, AMD Athlon processor 2.40GHz and Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB. I know that his computer is quite old and he mostly uses it for writing school papers, yet I do not understand why Disk Defrgmenter is not finishing.
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 1:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First, I would like to confirm that if there is any programs installed or did you configure any settings before the issue occurs.

You may perform System Restore to get back to the state which the issue didn’t occur.

Please try to run the Disk defragmenter in the Clean Boot.

If there is any error encountered, please help collect a screenshot and the event log for our further research:

How to capture a screenshot if an error message is received

===========================

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click "Start", type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click "Edit", click "Paste". Then click "File", and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".

·         Event Log

========================

1. Click "Start", input "eventvwr" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Right click on "Application" on the left frame, choose "Save Log file As"; in the pop-up window, click to choose the Desktop icon on the left frame, input "app" in the "File name" blank, and then click “Save”.

3. Right click on "System", with the same method, save it as "sys".

4. Locate the two saved log files on the Desktop and send them to us.

You can refer to the following link to upload the information:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, November 15, 2010 7:49 AM
    Monday, November 8, 2010 7:22 AM