none
C: on DPM server filling up with .tmp files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have an issue with DPM 2010 on Server 2008 R2, SP1. Everything is up to date. Every few months I am seeing the C: drive on my DPM server filling up (275 GB). The culprit is the C:\Windows\Temp folder - it is filling up the hard drive with files named tmp(four character hex value).tmp files. I can move them off of the C: drive easily enough - I would like to schedule a PS script to remove older ones, but I hesitate to do it without knowing the downstream effect this could have.

Can anyone tell me what these files are and why they seem to be getting orphaned? Thanks!

Monday, April 16, 2012 1:08 PM

Answers

• Generally speaking all files in Windows\temp can be deleted.  I looked at my dpm servers and one of them has lots of files like tmp2F38.xml and tmp2F69.tmp files.  When I open them they seem to contain some DPM expection data.  I don't know if this is something DPM is writing specifically, or written as part of Windows error handling, but go ahead and delete them.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 16, 2012 5:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

All the DPM logs either end in .errlog or .crash and the ones that show as being compressed (blue) can safely be deleted.  Make sure you do not accidently delete the MTA folder.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 16, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Hi, thanks for the comment, but those aren't the files or the location causing the problem.

Monday, April 16, 2012 5:17 PM
  • Generally speaking all files in Windows\temp can be deleted.  I looked at my dpm servers and one of them has lots of files like tmp2F38.xml and tmp2F69.tmp files.  When I open them they seem to contain some DPM expection data.  I don't know if this is something DPM is writing specifically, or written as part of Windows error handling, but go ahead and delete them.

Monday, April 16, 2012 5:48 PM
  • Excellent. I moved some off earlier today and it hasn't seemed to impact DPM in any way. I'll go ahead an make a scheduled task to delete them when they reach a certain age. Thanks!

Monday, April 16, 2012 6:28 PM