none
Excel Files in Sharepoint 2010 not opening in client application.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all.. I have an issue where random people in my organization cant open excel files in stored in sharepoint 2010. 

We have the open files in client application set.. but it forces it inside of Internet Explorer, then says the file cant be opened. 

I tried searching around a bunch, and have seen many with this issue.. I have not seen any actual working solutions posted as of yet. 

Any help would be appreciated! 

Thanks,

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 8:59 PM

All replies

• Hi

May I know if the error is 'The file is corrupt and cannot be opened'? If yes, please refer below steps and see if works.
    1. Open Excel Application, Click File-> Options, then select 'Trust Center' and press the 'Trust Center Settings' button.
    2. Pick 'Protected View' and uncheck all the options under Protected View and click OK.

3. Restart Excel and try to open the broken excel document.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:44 AM
  • Hi jchisena23,

If possible, could you please provide the screenshot of the error?

Whether all the excel files can’t be opened in client in your library?

Could you open word files in client from SharePoint?

If you don’t have permission to upload picture, you could verify account in the forum.

Reference: How to Verify Your MSDN/TechNet Forums Account So that You Can Post Images and Links

And please note this is a public forum. In order to protect your personal privacy, we do not recommend you contain your personal information in the picture.

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 8:13 AM