none
Moving a Virtual Disk from IDE to SCSI

Question

• Hyper-V Host - Windows Server 2012 R2

Hyper-V Guest - Windows Server 2012 R2

I am running out of space on the C: drive of our Hyper-V Guest. I can see that the server.vhdx is attached to the IDE controller 0. The server also had a SCSI controller with a server_e.vhdx disk attached to it which is just a data volume.

Can I move the server.vhdx file from IDE to SCSI controller? I gather this will enable me to increase the size of the hard disk. However, whilst researching how to move the file from IDE to SCSI I've read a few different reports that say if I move a bootable .vhdx file from IDE to SCSI it will make the server unbootable!?

Can someone confirm what I am trying to achieve is possible and am I going about it in the right way?

Thanks,

Chris

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:27 PM

Answers

• If all you want to do is resize a VHDX, just turn the VM off first. VHDX resize is available for IDE-connected disks as well, just not online resize. Converting to Gen2 to solve this problem is not at all a reasonable solution.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

• Marked as answer by Chris30-UK Tuesday, February 28, 2017 6:14 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 5:43 PM

All replies

• My guess is your VM is a generation 1 since you have a IDE Controller and your C drive i on it.

On a generation 1 VM your boot disk has to be a IDE attached VHD and therefor you cannot move it to the SCSI controller.

Andreas Sobczyk CloudMechanic.net

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 3:14 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your reply.

It is indeed a Gen1 VM. Is it possible to change a gen1 to a gen2?

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 3:55 PM
  • Yes you can use this solution to do the trick but be sure to read the documentation first! :) This can go very wrong if you are unlucky.

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsdesktop/Convert-VMGeneration-81ddafa2

Andreas Sobczyk CloudMechanic.net

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 5:18 PM
  • If all you want to do is resize a VHDX, just turn the VM off first. VHDX resize is available for IDE-connected disks as well, just not online resize. Converting to Gen2 to solve this problem is not at all a reasonable solution.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

• Marked as answer by Chris30-UK Tuesday, February 28, 2017 6:14 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 5:43 PM
  • Thanks for the replied guys.

Andreas> Yes, I also managed to find that page since my last post but decided it was too risky. I appreciate the suggestion though :-).

Eric> Ahh, I did not know that! I can take it offline once everyone else has gone home and attempt the resize, that won't be a problem.

Regards,

Chris

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 6:14 PM