PC with serious networking issues RRS feed

• Question

• SO here is a good one for anyone who wants to take a stab at it.  I have a user running Windows 7 pro that is having serious problems.  He is able to connect to the network but here comes the fun part, he is unable to connect to any network printer in the environment by their name.  We can connect to them by IP address and map it but it still will not print to it.   The printer will kick off a test page from his PC but nothing else.  When I try to RDP to a server from his laptop I have to do it via IP and not DNS entry.  Even the fully qualified name will not work.  We have tried several thing for two days and are completely out of answers.  All drivers are up to date and so is the firmware on the laptop.  Any help is much appreciated since it is the plant manager.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 12:08 AM

Answers

• Are you sure the client has at least good DNS server on the list?

You mention you cannot connect via names but can by IP address so try this test:

nslookup <hostname> <ipAddressOfDNSServer>

Where <hostname> is the target printer or computer or server. Does it come back with a correct IP address?

Do same for each DNS server on the list.

Ha®®y

Thursday, January 7, 2016 3:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue can be related to DNS settings since we can find the printer via IP but now the FQDN.

Please try following suggestions to see if we can fix this issue:

Run CMD as administrator to clear DNS catch and re-register DNS:

ipconfig / flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns

Then, Check your NetBIOS status. 

1. Go to Network and Sharing Center.
    2. Click "Change adapter settings."
    3. Select your network adapter (e.g., "Local Area Connection")
    4. Click "Change settings for this connection"
    5. Select "Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click the "Properties" button
    6. Click the "Advanced" button on the "General" tab
    7. Select the "WINS" tab
    8. Select the radio button to "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP"

For further troubleshooting, Completely reset the NIC, clearing cache and network settings to check the results.

netsh int ip reset C:\reset.log

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 7:16 AM
  • We have already looked at that and noticed it was enabled.  We thought it may have been a Domain Trust issue but that was not it either.  I have also tried the netsh reset.  Any other suggestions?
    Wednesday, January 6, 2016 4:44 PM
  • Are you sure the client has at least good DNS server on the list?

You mention you cannot connect via names but can by IP address so try this test:

nslookup <hostname> <ipAddressOfDNSServer>

Where <hostname> is the target printer or computer or server. Does it come back with a correct IP address?

Do same for each DNS server on the list.

Ha®®y

Thursday, January 7, 2016 3:36 PM
  • Hi,

I am proposing above reply as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can benefit our Community members.

If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 1:37 AM