Duplicate Contacts in Skype for Business but not in Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, would like to check if anyone of you guys have experienced this behaviour and probably could advise for a solution.

Within Skype for Business 2016 (search for Name or Email Address), when I do a search for one of my colleague within the organization.. it shows 2 contact information for the person I searched (duplicated). the only difference is that the other contact shows as Offline Messages Only. Please note that this duplicate contact is only present in Skype for Business. Within Outlook, it only shows as one contact. Also please note that this only happen for this particular person and the rest of staff are working perfectly.

where do you think the issue lies? is it on the backend servers or the client (workstation of the person having duplicated contacts)?

Thank you.

Monday, November 26, 2018 4:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does it only appear to your account when searching for this contact? How does it display when try searching in other user accounts, is this colleague account duplicated or not?

Do you experience this if you sign in on a different client or device?

If not, go ahead and remove the local SIP profile on your own PC and see if that makes a difference, try as follows:

1.Sign out Skype for Business -> delete sign-in information         

2.Delete sip folder under: %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync.

3. Reconnect and see if the issue is fixed in your contact

Note: You might see two subfolders under "Office" which are "15.0" and "16.0".

For locating the specific cache files actually where they are, it depends on the exact edition that you installed, you could check it by clicking "Help", then navigate to "About Skype for Business" in the client to see the version.

If this is happening for all users, then I highly doubt there's anything wrong with the Address Book.

Also please search AD for this problematic user, compare the AD attribute with other normal users and just to make sure the user is unique and well created.

After that, please try running Update-CsAddressBook as Admin in SFB management shell, this will force this process to occur.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Calvin-Liu Tuesday, November 27, 2018 3:04 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Calvin-Liu Friday, December 21, 2018 10:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2018 3:00 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this query, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well. :)

Kind regards, 

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, December 3, 2018 4:23 PM
  • Hi Calvin, thanks for your response and apologies in the delay in my response to your queries.

To answer your queries;

Does it only appear to your account when searching for this contact? NO, my other 3 colleagues also getting two-contact information for this particular person

How does it display when try searching in other user account? the result is the same with two-contact information

Is this colleague account duplicated or not? I believe it's not duplicated. How do you check if account is duplicated? I checked through the ADUC, I can only see one account for this person.

I have not tried yet clearing the cache for this particular user having two contact information. Will give it a try on the persons computer.

Compare the AD attribute, I tried to check and compare AD attribute but I could not find any settings with a different value.

I also have not tried yet to run Update-CSAddressBook, are there any risks and concern in running that command? should it be executed on all Front End Servers or to only one of the Front End Server?

Thank you again for your response.

Cheers

Sunday, December 9, 2018 11:27 PM
  • Hi,

Any update for the issue? Have you tried with clearing the cache files and running the Update-CsAddressBook command?

This command could be ran in one of the front end servers, it will be replicated automatically. This won't cause any risk as it is just to update and sync the address book manually.

Besides, please also check client policy (Get-CsClientPolicy), for -Identity Global, the value for -ExcludedContactFolders is NULL

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, December 13, 2018 1:59 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue. :) 

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Friday, December 21, 2018 10:00 AM