Not seeing OS after auto update RRS feed

• Question

• After an automatic Windows update, my pc , went  through the start up process, then instead of the windows 7 logon page, I got a black screen stating  cannot find operating system, insert disk and hit any key, and a blinking cursor on it.

I rebooted and got the same thing. I did not insert disk, just hit a key and it went into a window that allowed me to select Windows 7. Everything worked fine.

Now every  time I reboot it, I still get the same error message, I hit any key and it goes to log on screen. Why is it not seeing my OS? Please help.

My OS is W7 64 bit

Monday, March 21, 2011 12:32 PM

Answers

• Do you have any other hard drives installed?  If so, check the boot order in your BIOS and make sure it hasn't been changed.  Also make sure you don't have a CD/DVD in the drive or a floppy disk inserted (if you even have a floppy drive.)

If everything seems to be in order you may need to run a system repair from the original Windows 7 DVD to fix your boot sector.

There's also the possibility that it's a hardware problem.  Your drive or power supply could be failing and it's just a coincidence that it happened at the same time as an update.
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, March 28, 2011 3:10 AM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 2:11 PM

All replies

• Do you have any other hard drives installed?  If so, check the boot order in your BIOS and make sure it hasn't been changed.  Also make sure you don't have a CD/DVD in the drive or a floppy disk inserted (if you even have a floppy drive.)

If everything seems to be in order you may need to run a system repair from the original Windows 7 DVD to fix your boot sector.

There's also the possibility that it's a hardware problem.  Your drive or power supply could be failing and it's just a coincidence that it happened at the same time as an update.
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, March 28, 2011 3:10 AM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 2:11 PM
  • Sorry I did not respond sooner, was not sure how to perform the steps you stated.

Do you have any other hard drives installed? NO

If so, check the boot order in your BIOS and make sure it hasn't been changed.

WHAT SHOULD THE BOOT ORDER BE AND HOW WILL I KNOW IF IT HAS CHANGED?

Also make sure you don't have a CD/DVD in the drive or a floppy disk inserted (if you even have a floppy drive.)

NO CD/DVD OR FLOPPY DISK INSERTED.

WHERE CAN I FIND INSTRUCTIONS TO DO A SYSTEM REPAIR?

IS THERE A WAY TO CHECK IF I AM HAVING A HDW PROBLEM. The computer works fine once I am into my apps.

Ebony
    Monday, March 28, 2011 7:33 PM