none
What Is The Proper Way To Remove A Server From Active Directory When It Has Failed And You Want To Reuse It's Name

Question

• Hello

NOTE: This is a not a domain controller just a member server

I know how to disjoin a server from a domain but in this case the server has crashed and was unplugged all together. I am planning to rebuild the server and use the same name. What is the best way to remove the current object from AD, besides just deleting the object? What else should I do to avoid any conflict when adding the new server?

Thanks in advance! 

Phil Balderos

• Edited by Phil Balderos Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:32 PM clarity
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:00 PM

Answers

• OK :-)

Just remove AD Object and DNS record then join server to domain.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:45 PM
  • You can remove it from active directory users and computers and possibly remove the DNS record for it.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hi

First you should forcefully demote this fail dcor become unavaible,then perform metadata cleanup.Finaly you should promote it again DC as same hostname.

Forcing the Removal of a Domain Controller

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731871(v=ws.10).aspx

Clean Up Server Metadata

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907(v=ws.10).aspx

Note:if the dc also fsmo roles holder you have to seize fsmo roles on a healhy DC.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:07 PM
  • Hi Burak

I am sorry I didn't point it out but it isn't a domain controller. It's just a regular member server. I posted here since it is a server that is joined to my domain. 

Phil Balderos

Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:30 PM
  • OK :-)

Just remove AD Object and DNS record then join server to domain.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:45 PM
  • You can remove it from active directory users and computers and possibly remove the DNS record for it.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:46 PM