Add Column to show email has attachments RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How can I add a column to a document libary to should that an email has an attachment.  I just want to mimic what you would see in outlook, ie the paperclip icon.

Thanks

Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:50 PM

Answers

• Another way of achiving this requirement would be to create a custom list instead of a document library.

Create an eMail content type as per your requirement and associate that with the list along with a set of columns (metadata) that define your content.

As we know, a list already supports attachments to items, (you can also have multiple attachments per item, just like an email) and your paperclip icon is automatically shown.

Cheers! Sridhar
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:43 PM

All replies

• As best as I can tell, it is not possible to create an attachment column for a Document Library in SharePoint 2010. You can use Attachments with other list types, such as Contacts, Tasks, or the Custom List template, but it doesn't look like the content type associated with the Document Library template allows for attachments to be used with that list, since you can already place documents directly in it (hence the purpose of the document library template).

One thing you could try doing is to create a point of reference between two documents in the list by creating a new lookup column that pulls from the list itself. That when when you upload a document that would be an attachment, you can select the email it should be attached to and create a relationship to it that way.

But I don't know how with the document library template you would be able to attach a second document directly to an existing document in the library. If it's possible, hopefully someone else will chime in and prove me wrong :)

John

MCTS: WSS v3, MOSS 2007, and SCOM 2007
    MCITP: Enterprise Project Management with Project Server 2007

Now Available on Amazon - The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide. Also available - The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:59 PM
  • Another way of achiving this requirement would be to create a custom list instead of a document library.

Create an eMail content type as per your requirement and associate that with the list along with a set of columns (metadata) that define your content.

As we know, a list already supports attachments to items, (you can also have multiple attachments per item, just like an email) and your paperclip icon is automatically shown.

Cheers! Sridhar
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:43 PM