Outlook 2016 subscribed IMAP folders issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am having a very persistent issue with Outlook 2016 for Windows. 

We have a mailbox on Office 365 that we recently completely cleaned up from outlook web interface (OWA). We deleted hundreds of folders.

Now when I query the IMAP fodlers I can see that all these folders have been deleted. However, the folders remain visible under the tab 'subscribed folders'. If I unsubscribe those folders and click OK or Apply, I get an error "Server unavailable. 15."

I tried all kind of possible solutions such as:

• Deleted the account's OST files (because I thought maybe it's cached or something)
    • Deleted the outlook profile and recreated a new one
    • Delete the folders from my outlook > as soon as I do this outlook just recreates the folder structure. Whether I delete it, rename it, move it, the folders always come back.
    • Deleted the roamcache folder

So, it seems like Outlook has somewhere saved my folder structure or subscribed IMAP folders. And I can't do anything to undo it. If I delete everything from the account, I want Outlook to just download the IMAP folders that are currently available as I see them in OWA. However, it creates hundres of old folders on which I am subscribed and I cannot unsubscribe from those folders.

Please HELP!

Thursday, March 21, 2019 12:13 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

I did a lot of research. We can use MFCMapi to check if these folders still exist. If yes, we can use MFCMapi to delete these folders again to test the results.

Regarding this tool, you can refer to this article.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, April 2, 2019 7:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by JohnDesigner Monday, April 15, 2019 12:51 PM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2019 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

If we click Folder > Update Folder List, are there any improvements?

We can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

Besides, we can also regenerate folders to see the results. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type “outlook /resetfolders” and then press Enter.

What’s more, we can add another IMAP account to see if issue can be reproduced.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, March 25, 2019 7:03 AM
    Friday, March 22, 2019 2:53 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your help. I tried everything but no luck..

The folders keep coming back. I even deleted the whole profile (assuming it would delete cache etc.) but no luck. Other mailboxes work just fine , and deleting the IMAP account + OST file and adding it again changes nothing.

If I query IMAP Fodlers I can see the folders that I want. But, under the subscribed tab there are hundreds of folders to which I am subscribed which don't even exist anymore. If I unsubscribe from the folder I get an error.. ("Server unavailable. 15.") 

What else can I do..?

-- edit-

I just don't know why outlook keeps subscribing me to folders that don't exist on the IMAP server. I wish I could unsubscribe from everything somehow and only subscribe to the folders I need. Why is this not possible / not working?

Monday, March 25, 2019 11:02 AM
  • Hi John,

When testing on my side, I can directly delete a folder of IMAP account and don't need to unsubscribe first.

Do you have any antivirus software running on this PC? In case this issue was related to their integration with Outlook client, please temporarily close them to see the result.

Besides, from the description, this issue occurs to this particular IMAP account. If possible, you can configure it to another client to see if issue can be reproduced. 

>>We have a mailbox on Office 365 that we recently completely cleaned up from outlook web interface (OWA). We deleted hundreds of folders.

Do you use an IMAP account connecting to Exchange server? In this case, you can configure this account as an Exchange account in Outlook.

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 7:19 AM
  • Hi John,

I did a lot of research. We can use MFCMapi to check if these folders still exist. If yes, we can use MFCMapi to delete these folders again to test the results.

Regarding this tool, you can refer to this article.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, April 2, 2019 7:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by JohnDesigner Monday, April 15, 2019 12:51 PM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2019 7:30 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Thanks so much for your help. I tried everything using MfcMAPI but I get an error when I perform a hard delete on a folder. I can delete it and it will delete it in outlook, but on next refresh, the folders re-appear... 

MfcMAPI gives this error: 

Error:
    Code: MAPI_E_UNKNOWN_FLAGS == 0x80040106
    Function lpParentFolder->DeleteFolder( lpItemEID->cb, reinterpret_cast<LPENTRYID>(lpItemEID->lpb), lpProgress ? reinterpret_cast<ULONG_PTR>(m_hWnd) : NULL, lpProgress, ulFlags)
    File Dialogs\HierarchyTable\MsgStoreDlg.cpp
    Line 891

So, the issue remains. I might switch the account to Exchange, see if that works (it is now an IMAP account). But for several reasons I prefer not to use Exchange, but if I can't solve it otherwise I might have to. 

Thanks again for your help. If you have other suggestions, please let me know :) (ps it's not a virusscanner as you suggested earlier)

Monday, April 15, 2019 8:20 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Update: I read in your article about hiding folders. So I did that, and it actually works. So the folders I don't need don't show up anymore, yaay!

For me this is an acceptable solution. If I don't see them I'm fine with it :)

Thanks a lot!

Monday, April 15, 2019 8:40 AM
  • You are welcome :-)

Monday, April 15, 2019 9:33 AM