recreate a configuration database by using the Configuration wizard RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to open my custom Web site, I started getting the error "Cannot connect to the configuration database." The site had worked fine just before the error and I didn't do anything in the site before the error.  I uninstalled MOSS and then while reinstalling it, I ran the Configuration wizard as it told me to. However, when I got to the screen where it asked to find the existing Configuration database by typing in my Database server name (my computer name since this is a standlone machine), it says that it cannot find any configuration databases on the server. In looking for a solution, I found a forum answer that suggested to create a configuration database by using the Configuration wizard. I can't see how to do that if I can't get pass the Find a configuration database screen. How can I recreate a Configuration database or find the missing one on the server? Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, May 5, 2011 9:32 PM

Answers

• Check if you have required permissions.DBSecurity, DB Creator by navigating to Sql Server management studio. 

Also, try to run the installation using command prompt. 

psconfig -cmd -configdb -create -server %sqlservername% -database
    %admindatabase% -user %domain/serviceaccount% -password
    %domainserviceaccountpassword% -dbuser %DatabaseAdminUser% -dbpassword
    %databaseadminpassword% -admincontentdatabase %admincontentdatabasename
    %

Also, have a look at this article. http://blogs.crankygoblin.com/blogs/geoff.appleby/archive/2007/01/11/task-configdb-has-failed-with-an-unknown-exception-wss-v3-0.aspx

Looks like a solution was posted for a similar issue.(last post) http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/sharepointadmin/thread/33daa0a6-eb3c-4be1-a42a-acd11c35ae46

Hope this helps.

V
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Friday, May 13, 2011 10:12 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 5:52 PM
  • To run Psconfig at a command prompt, navigate to the %COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\14\bin folder
    V
    Friday, May 6, 2011 6:17 PM

All replies

• I guess when you are looking at creating a new farm rather than choosing to connect to a an existing farm. 

Did you have backup from your previous working farm? Can you connect to the SQL instance through SQL management studio? You should then be able to SQL backup your content databases at least.

Hope this helps!

BlueSky2010
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 11:46 PM
  • Frice,

When you log in using SQL Server Mgmt studio, do you see all the databases?It sounds like a permission issue. Assign db_owner rights to the user that is running the wizard or run the wizard as sp_admin.

Thanks

V
    Friday, May 6, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Hi V,

Thanks for the response. When I use  SQL Server Mgmt studio, I don't see see any databases other than the defaults (master, tempdb, etc). No configuration database. Things worked perfectly until last Tuesday when the configuration database seems to have disappeared. Is there a way to create a new configuration database>

Thx

Friday, May 6, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Check if you have required permissions.DBSecurity, DB Creator by navigating to Sql Server management studio. 

Also, try to run the installation using command prompt. 

psconfig -cmd -configdb -create -server %sqlservername% -database
    %admindatabase% -user %domain/serviceaccount% -password
    %domainserviceaccountpassword% -dbuser %DatabaseAdminUser% -dbpassword
    %databaseadminpassword% -admincontentdatabase %admincontentdatabasename
    %

Also, have a look at this article. http://blogs.crankygoblin.com/blogs/geoff.appleby/archive/2007/01/11/task-configdb-has-failed-with-an-unknown-exception-wss-v3-0.aspx

Looks like a solution was posted for a similar issue.(last post) http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/sharepointadmin/thread/33daa0a6-eb3c-4be1-a42a-acd11c35ae46

Hope this helps.

V
    Friday, May 6, 2011 5:52 PM
  • I'll give these a try. You are awesome. Thanks very much!
    Friday, May 6, 2011 5:56 PM
  • When I try to run psconfig from the command prompt, I get a message that says psconfig is not an internal or external command. Is there a particular directory that psconfig is located in?
    Friday, May 6, 2011 6:15 PM
  • To run Psconfig at a command prompt, navigate to the %COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\14\bin folder
    V
    Friday, May 6, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Sorry to be a bother. When I try to run the psconfig command, I get the following error: The user parameter specified with the configdb command is invalid. The username is invalid. The account must be a valid domain account.
    Friday, May 6, 2011 6:24 PM
  • I am logged in this machine as Administrator. I also gave the Administrator account all permissions available in Sql Server management studio.
    Friday, May 6, 2011 6:38 PM
  • Did you include domain name for the -user parameter? It should be -user "domain\user"?
    V
    Friday, May 6, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Yes. Because this is a standalone machine, I'm beginning to wonder if it might be easier to just reinstall Windows Server 2008 R2 and start all over again. Thanks for all of your help.
    Friday, May 6, 2011 6:57 PM