scheduled backup destination with bitlocker RRS feed

• Question

• hi

I want to backup my Windows Server 2012 R2 host to a destination fixed disk but I want it to have Bitlocker drive encryption. I'm going to store the backup in my car!

When I set up a scheduled backup, and choose the disk, it's reformatted and hidden from explorer. No drive letter is assigned.

How do I bitlocker it?

Am I doing it the right way?

Thanks

Tim

Tim

• Edited by higgsy1 Tuesday, October 27, 2015 7:28 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 7:24 AM

Answers

• Windows Server Backup formats the disk when you set up the schedule and doesn't assign a drive letter.

I ended up enabling bitlocker on the volume via the command line with the manage-bde utility, I also enable auto unlock so when the target is attached it automatically unlocks.

Tim

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 11:38 PM

All replies

• Connect the empty disk, format it, bitlock it, set it to autounlock on this device. Done.

If not done: what backup software are we talking about?

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 11:35 PM
  • Windows Server Backup formats the disk when you set up the schedule and doesn't assign a drive letter.

I ended up enabling bitlocker on the volume via the command line with the manage-bde utility, I also enable auto unlock so when the target is attached it automatically unlocks.

Tim

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 11:38 PM
  • Hi,

If you choose "dedicate disk" it will format the disk. So choose the other option when saving to a local disk should help you get it work. 

FYI: also when you creating a backup you can choose a user which can do the restore - though bitlocker is better in this purpose. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:38 AM