External hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• No idea if this is the right forum to post to.

Vista Home premium SP2, 32-bit

I use an external hard drive for files backup.
    Questions :
    1. Can I delete the "old " files from the ext. hard drive ? If yes, how do I know which to delete ?
    2. If I erase ALL the files in the external hard drive, then do a files backup, does that mean I start fresh ?
    Will that solve the issue of the ext. hard drive getting full ?

If it solves your problem, I did it. If it does not, my twin brother did it.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:06 AM

Answers

• Thank you for replying.

What I am trying to find out is ......

What if I delete all the files from my ext.hard drive. The drive is now empty.
    I go to Backup and Restore Center and start a files backup.

Will I get a full backup or an incremental files backup ?

Thank you.
    Windows uses something known as archive bits in deciding if changes have been made to files.if you totally delete the content of the backup medium, then it should do a full backup at next schedule,because at that point, windows has nothing to compare the computer data with.
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    • Marked as answer by davidhk129 Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:22 PM
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:13 PM

All replies

• whats your current method of performing your backup? and how frequently do you do it?  we need to know this so we can advise as to better methods.
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 4:26 AM
  • whats your current method of performing your backup? and how frequently do you do it?  we need to know this so we can advise as to better methods.
    Files Backup method :  Through Vista Backup and Restore application.
    Scheduled backup: once a month.
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 4:36 AM
    Files Backup method :  Through Vista Backup and Restore application.
    Scheduled backup: once a month.

After you first configure automatic file backup using the Backup And Restore Center, Windows
    Vista will regularly back up all files. The first time a backup is performed, a full backup is
    done, including all important user documents. Subsequent backups are incremental, backing
    up only changed files(files that have changed since the last backup). Older backups are discarded when the disk begins to run out of space.
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 8:01 PM

Thank you.
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 8:13 PM

Thank you.
    Windows uses something known as archive bits in deciding if changes have been made to files.if you totally delete the content of the backup medium, then it should do a full backup at next schedule,because at that point, windows has nothing to compare the computer data with.
    • Marked as answer by davidhk129 Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:22 PM
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:13 PM

Thank you.
    Thank you.
    That is what I need to know.
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:21 PM