none
How to stop SearchUI.exe RRS feed

All replies

• Hi!

Do you want to just stop it or disable it?

To stop / kill the SearchUI.exe process you can do it with the steps below:

1) Open a command prompt

2) In the command prompt write the following command:
     taskkill /f /im SearchUI.exe

To disable the SearchUI.exe you could try the following steps below:

1) Open up a command prompt

2) In the command prompt write the following command:

C:\WINDOWS\System32> move %windir%\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy %windir%\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy.000

Do note that tampering with Windows processes could cause problems, so use this at your own risk.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

Saturday, June 2, 2018 2:02 PM
  • while I did use something similar to Leons proposal myself (killing the process and renaming the directory),
    this has the following problems:
    - one needs to be quick when killing / renaming
    - Windows update will restore the directory with the original name, but only a part of the content
    - the renamed directory can not be easily deleted

nowadays, I use a software restriction (this requires the Pro or Enterprise version of Windows)
    "Start" - type secpol, enter. This starts the "Local Security Policy" Editor.
    right click "Software Restriction Policy" - "New Software Restriction Policy"
    select the "Software Restriction Policies"- "Additional Rules"
    right-click in the list to the right:  "New path rule...", enter the path "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy"
    then you should give some meaningful description, f.e. "prevent Cortana"

after this you can kill the process, and Windows can no longer restart it.
    you only need to delete the rule and Cortana can start again.

Saturday, June 2, 2018 7:27 PM
  • And if I can't use the Local Security Policy?

AND

Leon's way is not working? Hmmm... Do I have to do it in safemode?

Sunday, August 5, 2018 12:15 AM
  • If I could kiss you I would! Thank YOU!
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:07 PM
  • while I did use something similar to Leons proposal myself (killing the process and renaming the directory),
    - Windows update will restore the directory with the original name, but only a part of the content

nowadays, I use a software restriction (this requires the Pro or Enterprise version of Windows)
    right-click in the list to the right:  "New path rule...", enter the path "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy"

Thank you :)  Finally got rid of SearchUI.EXE restarting every time.

Sunday, December 23, 2018 6:25 PM
  • Thanks for answers.
    Thursday, December 27, 2018 5:23 AM
  • Thank you EckiS! The software restriction worked for me in Windows 10 (ver 1703, build 15063.1367). I do also appreciate the brute force answer from Leon Laude, which was my own approach for years. However, it is so much more elegant to use Microsoft's own system tools to get rid of the Windows Annoyances that the company insists on continually implementing against its customers. 
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 12:29 AM
  • Thank you EckiS! The software restriction worked for me in Windows 10 (ver 1703, build 15063.1367). I do also appreciate the brute force answer from Leon Laude, which was my own approach for years. However, it is so much more elegant to use Microsoft's own system tools to get rid of the Windows Annoyances that the company insists on continually implementing against its customers. 
    Alas, Microsoft just figures out ways to prevent us from disabling their intended "helpful services". With the Cortana subdirectory prohibited by a Software Restriction Policy, the Windows Start menu popped up, but it was grayed out. This prevented the convenient use of apps like the removed-from-Control-Panel "Settings" that is the new home for Windows Update. The instant that I changed the policy on the Cortana subdirectory from 'Disallowed' to 'Unrestricted', Cortana ran, and the Windows Start Menu again agreed to respond to selections. There must be a special department at Microsoft to dream up new 'gotchas' to assure that efforts to circumvent their intentions are appropriately punished. 
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 2:00 AM
  • The start menu only behaves this way once. It you call it again, it seems to work.

But I use OpenShell anyway.

• Edited by EckiS Thursday, January 10, 2019 7:00 AM
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 5:11 AM
  • I put the command in there only now will not let me use (type here to search) how do I get back into Local Security Policy       -in order to remove the command now ?
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 5:16 PM
  • ⊞ + R
    type "secpol.msc", enter

• Edited by EckiS Wednesday, March 6, 2019 6:42 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 5:50 PM
  • copied and pasted it in there , says windows cannot find secpo.msc
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 6:13 PM
  • never mind you missed a letter in command got it now

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 6:15 PM
  • Sorry, I updated my post
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 6:42 PM
  • While I'd like to thank you for this the problem is that now under Event Viewer I get a continuous error 

Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: Event ID 5973 This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

And... Unable to start a DCOM Server: CortanaUI as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error:
    "267"
    Happened while starting this command:
    "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe" -ServerName:CortanaUI.AppXa50dqqa5gqv4a428c9y1jjw7m3btvepj.mca

Is there anyway to stop the Cortana SearchUI.exe without it triggering errors to appear in the event viewer? I removed the Disallowed level again for now and the errors stopped producing in Event Log.

And this is happening here on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 64-bit. I was lied that this version of Windows 10 does not come with Cortana. While Cortana might not come this stupid SearchUI.exe still comes. If I knew this I would probably not have installed Windows 10 coming from Windows 8.1...

I would like it to not trigger the event log error.
    • Proposed as answer by Jonathan119 Sunday, September 1, 2019 5:55 AM
    Friday, April 5, 2019 6:37 PM

TYVM!!!!!!!!!! i was stuck at 40-100% CPU cuz of that crap. and BOOM 2% cpu usage now. tyyy
    Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:23 AM