DPC Watchdog Violation RRS feed

• Question

• I continuously get the DPC Watchdog Violation error on my PC.  I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Home Premium.  What can I do to help diagnose and solve this error?  My PC has become useless at this point.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:43 PM

Answers

• Inconclusive is inconclusive.  Verifier is what I would have done.  Couple of oldish drivers.  BCC133 is often video related so it cannot hurt to remove the nvidia driver completely and install a fresh copy.

Completely remove the current driver and install the newest driver available.  For instructions on how to do that Read all about updating drivers by my partner JMH3143 here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-hardware/updating-a-driver/a5e6345e-af9b-4099-bef0-8d22254aa1c1?tm=1436753520149

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

• Marked as answer by stinger188 Wednesday, December 30, 2015 6:59 PM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 12:17 AM
  • I ran the verifier and it had a DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (amdxata.sys) that displayed on the screen.  I could not get the PC to reboot without restoring to an previous version.  It is back up and running now and hasn't had another BSOD yet.

Since it restored to an older version, I had to reinstall my video driver.  I will go ahead and follow the steps to completely remove it and reinstall though.  I had a GTX 560 in my PC when the problems originally started happening.  I recently upgraded to a GTX 970.  Not sure if that's meaningful or not.

Its not the video driver but it is Related to amdxata.sys Storage Filter Driver from Advanced Micro Devices.  Remove and re-install that.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 1:23 PM
  • Well either it was the wrong utility, or you do not need it.  You can find out if you need it by renaming it from *.sys to *.bak so it cannot load.  If something complains you need it, if not you can leave it as ^.bak

Be sure to create a restore point &/or back up before renaming it.

If you are not crashing since the restore then you are effectively fixed

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 6:02 PM

All replies

•  
    We do need the actual log files (called a DMP files) as they contain the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
    If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:49 PM
  • https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E7B502963301546D!122&authkey=!AFS3L9XD4RrbHeU&ithint=folder%2czip

• Edited by stinger188 Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:49 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:11 PM
  • Downloaded the DMP file ok.  Getting ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE so may involve some more troubleshooting, more DMP files if you get them. Sure ZigZag will have suggestions. In the meantime some of the other links at the bottom of the BSOD link that was posted may help, thinking the Driver verifier -Tracking down a mis-behaving driver would a one to look at.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:52 PM
  • Inconclusive is inconclusive.  Verifier is what I would have done.  Couple of oldish drivers.  BCC133 is often video related so it cannot hurt to remove the nvidia driver completely and install a fresh copy.

Completely remove the current driver and install the newest driver available.  For instructions on how to do that Read all about updating drivers by my partner JMH3143 here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-hardware/updating-a-driver/a5e6345e-af9b-4099-bef0-8d22254aa1c1?tm=1436753520149

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 12:17 AM
  • I ran the verifier and it had a DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (amdxata.sys) that displayed on the screen.  I could not get the PC to reboot without restoring to an previous version.  It is back up and running now and hasn't had another BSOD yet.

Since it restored to an older version, I had to reinstall my video driver.  I will go ahead and follow the steps to completely remove it and reinstall though.  I had a GTX 560 in my PC when the problems originally started happening.  I recently upgraded to a GTX 970.  Not sure if that's meaningful or not.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 2:02 AM
  • Hi,

Beside that, also I suggest you run this SFC /SCANNOW command to scan and fix the corrupted system files:

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

And keep on observation, any BSOD, upload the dump for analysis.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Karen Hu Wednesday, December 30, 2015 8:26 AM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 8:26 AM

Its not the video driver but it is Related to amdxata.sys Storage Filter Driver from Advanced Micro Devices.  Remove and re-install that.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 1:23 PM
  • I apologize for my novice abilities.  I went to AMD's website to search for the driver so I could remove and re-install, but their utility says that I do not have any hardware that is supported.  Is there a place to obtain that driver so I can complete your suggested step?
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 4:40 PM
  • Also, I've noticed that since I restored to a previous version of Windows, I have not received the BSOD.  I am running the SFC /SCANNOW command and had just completed a Windows Update after removing and re-installing the Nvidia driver.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 4:44 PM
  • Results from the SFC /SCANNOW "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 4:57 PM
  • Well either it was the wrong utility, or you do not need it.  You can find out if you need it by renaming it from *.sys to *.bak so it cannot load.  If something complains you need it, if not you can leave it as ^.bak

Be sure to create a restore point &/or back up before renaming it.

If you are not crashing since the restore then you are effectively fixed

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 6:02 PM
  • I will do that.  Thank you for all of your help.  For now, I am able to go back to gaming and other fun stuff!
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 6:58 PM
  • When I searched for the amdxata.sys file, it located 8 copies of it in various places.  Four of them are in a folder called "Windows.old".  The dates associated with each file range from 10/7/2009 to 10/30/2015.  The two most recent dates are in the "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" Directory.

I'm not sure which one to rename.  Since I am no longer crashing, should I just leave it alone and not worry about it for now?

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 7:10 PM