Facing severe BSOD Issue .. pls help .. dump attached RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am recently facing severe BSOD issues & after several days my laptop has started today. I request some urgent help from your side.

I am having a Dell Laptop Studio 1555 running Windows 8 (upgraded from Windows 7)

I read that one can analyze the dump & pin point to issues creating problems. Please if somebody can help me out.

Here's the dump

- System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}
    EventID 41
    Version 3
    Level 1
    Task 63
    Opcode 0
    Keywords 0x8000000000000002
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2013-05-02T12:35:59.381226700Z
    EventRecordID 34469
    Correlation
    - Execution
    [ ProcessID] 4
    [ ThreadID] 8
    Channel System
    Computer Jill-PC
    - Security
    [ UserID] S-1-5-18
    - EventData
    BugcheckCode 159
    BugcheckParameter1 0x3
    BugcheckParameter2 0xfffffa8007c55ce0
    BugcheckParameter3 0xfffff8011151f8f0
    BugcheckParameter4 0xfffffa80048d36d0
    SleepInProgress 6
    PowerButtonTimestamp 0
    BootAppStatus 3221225473

Thanks

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 2:48 PM

Answers

• What do you guys suggest ? .. What do I do next now ?

That's a tough call and one that only you can make ultimately. The history of your laptop makes it such that you may never achieve a stable Windows 8 system. It's also at least 4 years old. You could disable the synaptics touchpad and use a wireless usb mouse. But other problems may continue to crash your system. Unless there are compelling reasons that you have no choice but continue to use it then I would reinstall Windows 7 if you have the installation media and the expertise. If there are no compelling reasons you may want to cut your losses. Only you can decide how far you want to go.

Personally, I recommend reinstalling 7 and continue to use the laptop until its age kills it or buy a new one and call it a day.

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:06 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2013 3:00 PM

All replies

• Zip compress your raw .dmp file and upload it to a shared folder on your skydrive. You'll get better help that way. Your cut/paste posting doesn't give full information. Make sure it's publicly shared.
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 3:29 PM
  • We do need the actual DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.
    You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.
    If you are overclocking stop.  (chances are if you dont know if you are, you are not)a
    To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.  We need at least 2 DMP FILES to diagnose and confirm

The procedure:

* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
    * Zip up the copy.
    * Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button. (if available on  your site, MS doesnt have this)
     *Please upload them to a file sharing service like Skydrive or"Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.
    Link for how to  upload below.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-SkyDrive

To ensure minidumps are enabled:

* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
    * Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
    * Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
    * Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
    * Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
    * OK your way out.
    * Reboot if changes have been made.

Please also run MSinfo32 and upload the output as well.
    To run MSinfo32 please go to start>run>MSinfo32
    Go to "file" "save" and upload the saved file with the DMPS
    System specs are extremely useful so please include whatever you know.

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag. www.ZigZag3143.com

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 3:51 PM
  • Unfortunately My laptop has once again crashed .. I mean the BSOD issue is not letting it start. I will have to wait for it to start as of now it is just giving black screen & nothing else :(
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 2:21 PM
  • Jill

Have you tried booting into safe mode or booting from the win 8 dvd?

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Hi My Laptop started after a lot of tries & i was able to get hold of Dump files .. there are 3 of them zipped to in the below link.

I hope this is fine.

http://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=3672C2A531DB5AA!141

Do let me know if this is Ok.

One more thing when the laptop started it gave this alert .. "Driver verifier has detected violation".

Thanks.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:03 PM
  • It appears that your ATI graphics driver and Synaptics touchpad driver are causing problems. Both drivers need to be updated to Windows 8 compatible versions. Dell's support site does not list compatible drivers so you'll likely have to go to the device manufacturers' support sites to obtain drivers if available.
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Thanks Kentlrwin & ZigZag3143x .. What I will do is I will install the generic drivers from manufacturers support sites for both ATI & Synaptics and update them. One more thing .. how will i know that this will resolve the problem .. any idea ?
    • Edited by jills4824 Friday, May 10, 2013 4:24 PM
    Friday, May 10, 2013 4:22 PM
  • Thanks Kentlrwin & ZigZag3143x .. What I will do is I will install the generic drivers from manufacturers support sites but how will i know that this will resolve the problem .. any idea ?
    You'll know if you don't have any more crashes if the drivers you install are Win 8 compatible.
    • Edited by KentIrwin Friday, May 10, 2013 4:27 PM
    Friday, May 10, 2013 4:26 PM
  • One more crash after I installed the Synaptics Touchpad driver .. not only that the driver also is not good with vertical scrolling & other things affected. Luckily i was able to restore & thus writing here once again.
    Sunday, May 12, 2013 4:56 AM
  • Did the new Synaptics driver come from here ?

http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

Sunday, May 12, 2013 8:42 AM
  • Yeah totally from there.

After the restore, I first updated the display driver to the latest one from the ATI Support pages & then updated my Synaptics driver from Dell Support pages despite it mentions Windows 7 there (& not Windows 8) because this driver just works perfect on my laptop.

All this & one more crash today :(

One thing that i noticed is the Bug Check code has changed this time.

Skydrive link - http://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=3672C2A531DB5AA!141

Thanks for the help guys.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 5:56 PM
  • A driver really can't be said to work fine if it periodically crashes your system. The first of your most recent dumps again points to the Synaptic driver as the culprit. The second is apparently sound related.

Dell lists no Windows 8 drivers for your laptop. It appears to have been originally configured with Vista, was upgraded to 7 and most recently to 8. To be honest Dell doesn't seem to support Windows 8 on your system. Further, having been upgraded twice the system would be likely to cause problems even if it were supported for Windows 8. A clean installation vs an upgrade is always the better course despite what ms leads people to believe. To have been upgraded twice just compounds things.

To work through all possible issues may be time consuming and could be ultimately futile. 

Sunday, May 12, 2013 8:00 PM
  • Yeah totally from there.

your driver is still from 2009, so I doubt that you updated the driver correctly.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Monday, May 13, 2013 5:11 AM
    Answerer

I installed the latest Synaptics driver for Windows 8 from Synaptics support page as i mentioned earlier but immediately after that the laptop crashed so I am a bit worried to do the same thing again.

Monday, May 13, 2013 2:31 PM

That's a tough call and one that only you can make ultimately. The history of your laptop makes it such that you may never achieve a stable Windows 8 system. It's also at least 4 years old. You could disable the synaptics touchpad and use a wireless usb mouse. But other problems may continue to crash your system. Unless there are compelling reasons that you have no choice but continue to use it then I would reinstall Windows 7 if you have the installation media and the expertise. If there are no compelling reasons you may want to cut your losses. Only you can decide how far you want to go.

Personally, I recommend reinstalling 7 and continue to use the laptop until its age kills it or buy a new one and call it a day.

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:06 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2013 3:00 PM
  • Thanks KentIrwin & others too for all the help extended.

For now I will continue using Win 8 but in case if the crashes start happening often I will switch over to Win 7 as I have the required installation media.

But thanks to all of you for going through the dumps & letting me know the actual problems.

As a good news, last 2 days there have been no crashes .. hope this continues :)

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:40 AM