Controlling Site-Wide Client Push with Boundary Groups? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to do this?

I read somewhere (can't recall where now) that seemed to imply that Site-Wide Client Push can be controlled via site assignment boundary groups. 

I am deploying SCCM on a remote location by remote location basis and I do NOT want to just dump SCCM all at once everywhere due to trying to remove the old WSUS infrastructure as I go. 

So my thinking is that I can create a site assignment boundary group that consists of only the remote locations that I will be deploying the SCCM client to and enable Site-Wide Client Push and then just add subsequent remote locations as I go. 

Does this make any sense, or am I missing something here?

Thanks

Thursday, August 6, 2015 7:46 PM

All replies

• That should work.  If the system tries to download the client files and the files are not located on a DP in that boundary group, there will be no files to collect.  You might set that up and try manually deploying the client to a machine just to verify the behavior.

Best, Jacob I'm a PC.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 8:47 PM
  • That should work but it is has nothing to do with content lookup.

The client push process will only generate CCRs for resources assigned to the site -- this can be overridden with a manual push by selecting the appropriate checkbox but not for auto client push. Thus, if you stage the addition of boundaries to a site assignment boundary group (or multiple is you so choose for some reason), then only the resources within the scope of the boundaries added will be assigned to the site and thus only those resources will have CCRs generated.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Thursday, August 6, 2015 9:26 PM
  • Thanks jheinikel 

All my DPs have the SCCM 2012 client. I checked all of the content on them. 

Also, I have my primary DP in my datacenter set as a fallback for content. So if the client is not on a DP in a system's boundary, wouldn't it pull from the Datacenter DP?

Thursday, August 6, 2015 10:56 PM
  • Jason, 

How I envision it is like this:

• Configure one site assignment boundary and have those sites in it that I will be deploying the SCCM client to 

• Configure individual content location boundary groups and add those same sites and reference their respective remote (local for the systems) Distribution Points. I will not reference a DP that is not located on the same subnet as the remote systems due to slow WAN links. 

Does this make sense?

I am leaning more toward your script though, but I am just trying to gain some clarification here on how to leverage boundary groups to tweak Site-Wide Client Push deployments. 

Thanks

Thursday, August 6, 2015 11:01 PM
  • The content location boundary groups here are irrelevant. Why wouldn't you associate a DP with these though? That's the whole point of content location boundary groups.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Friday, August 7, 2015 12:19 AM
  • No, I do have DPs associated with them that are local to that site. All I was getting at is that I would not associate some remote DP in a site's content location boundary group. 

For instance my Seattle site's content location boundary group will have the local Seattle DP associated with it and not the Atlanta DP associated with it as well. 

Friday, August 7, 2015 12:32 AM