Presence Details Incorrect for One User RRS feed

• Question

• We are running MOSS 2007 Enterprise and I have a small issue with one user that has incorrect presence details displayed from within SharePoint.  For example, when hovering over the user's name (User 1) for a list item they have created, the presence details that are displayed in the small pop-up window are for another user (User 2).

I have narrowed the issue down to the fact that in AD/Exchange User 1's SIP address is the same as one of User 2's SMTP addresses.  It appears that the organization has used 3 or so different domains in the past, and many users that have been here for a while have multiple (and sometimes different) SMTP addresses because of this.  In researching the use of SIP I did run across one post that described best practice as using the same value for primary SMTP and SIP for each user; however, because of the way email addresses have been set up in the past that doesn't seem to be possible for all users here.

What I do not understand is why the wrong details are being displayed at all.  User 1 has the correct SIP, so even though it is the same as one of User 2's SMTP addresses (not the primary one), it seems to me that the "link" should be on SIP.  I have confirmed that User 1 has the correct SIP in the User Profiles and Properties area of the Shared Services site in Central Administration (when compared to AD/Exchange), so why is the presence information being displayed for User 2?  Is there some way that I can correct this, either in AD/Exchange or in the User Profile details?

Thanks in advance,
    Chanda

Monday, January 9, 2012 3:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

SharePoint does not control the presence information directly.  It is actually generated from the browser interfacing with name.dll when the page is rendered on the client side machine.  Name.dll is used when a program such as Communicator or Lync is installed. In SharePoint the control we have over presence is to either turn it on or off.

What IM program are you using?  We might have to move this thread over to that particular forum to determine what attribute name.dll is looking at.  Then take action in AD based off of that.

Regards, Savoeurn Va Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

SharePoint does not control the presence information directly.  It is actually generated from the browser interfacing with name.dll when the page is rendered on the client side machine.  Name.dll is used when a program such as Communicator or Lync is installed. In SharePoint the control we have over presence is to either turn it on or off.

What IM program are you using?  We might have to move this thread over to that particular forum to determine what attribute name.dll is looking at.  Then take action in AD based off of that.

Regards, Savoeurn Va Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:57 AM
  • Hello Savoerun,

Thank you for the reply, that helps to shed a little more light on the issue in that it is related to the IM program and not SharePoint.  The IM program we are using is Office Communicator (2010).

Thanks!
    Chanda

Friday, January 13, 2012 4:51 PM