Vista PreRC1 NIC drivers needed RRS feed

• Question

• I have a clean install on a second primary Sata HDD. The built in NIC on the Asus P4c800 Deluxe MoBo (a 3com 3C940) is not recognized but the hardware advisor "indicated" an update was available on the MS update site. How are u supposed to get (or find) the updates if you can't connect? 3com does not have any support for this nic.

Are there any easily aquired PCI or USB nic's that are verified to work with this build of Vista?

Thanks

John M

Friday, September 1, 2006 4:57 PM

All replies

• In PreRC1, you should be able to install XP drivers for the nic. The only drivers I have been having issues are the sound and video drivers.  But my nic installed fine.

Glenn

Sunday, September 3, 2006 10:37 PM
  • FYI -- I have the same 3COM NIC and am having the same problems as you mention. I attempted loading the drivers manually after copying off another (2k3 Server) system with no avail. The modem fails to initialize on the "stop|start" commands issued to it using the driver that is functioning well on both XP Pro & the aforementioned systems. The OS, to my surprise, is performing much better than the last build I had, and I was excited about using it further but need internet access to do this. I've searched through a number of (3rd party) forums and it appears that we aren't the only folks having this problem on this NIC. As much as I hate to, I'm going to have to wait for additional driver support (specifically for this card) in order to use this build as a primary workstation OS. I'm eager to get future builds that may support this card though - as I would prefer to avoid purchasing another NIC especially one for a beta OS. However, if I knew that there was a NIC out there that would be supportorted moving forward on Vista up to and through the actual full release - I suppose I would purchase. I'll update this thread if I happen to come across any further info or find a better (functional) workaround.
    Monday, September 4, 2006 3:08 PM
  • After posting the original question/comment, I loaded a "generic" driver from the included driver list. This worked long enough to allow Vista to finish updating. Once the updates were finished, Vista "recognized" the 3com nic and installed the proper driver. Quite a run arround if you ask me! I hope the final product works smother than the RC1.
    • Proposed as answer by imann Friday, August 14, 2009 6:12 AM
    Monday, September 18, 2006 2:17 PM
  • Where to find the "generic" driver? I cannot find it within the included driver list.
    Friday, September 22, 2006 9:39 AM
  • I located the "generic" driver this way.

From the Device manager, I selected the NIC device that was tagged as inoperative, then right clicked, selected properties, Then driver tab, amd "reinstall driver". From there I selected the generic driver off the included drivers list of "All Devices" (not just NIC's).

If you can't locate the generic driver you can download the zip file from 3com (about 19Mb) and port it over to your Vista OS rig with a USB drive. If your Vista OS is running from a dual boot system its just as easy. Simply copy the downloaded file from your main OS partition to the Shared Docs of your Vista Partition. You "should" be good-to-go from there!

Good luck

Friday, September 22, 2006 5:11 PM
  • from whre i can download 3 com dirver for windows vista?? can u help me in this regards..

Jay M wrote:

I have a clean install on a second primary Sata HDD. The built in NIC on the Asus P4c800 Deluxe MoBo (a 3com 3C940) is not recognized but the hardware advisor "indicated" an update was available on the MS update site. How are u supposed to get (or find) the updates if you can't connect? 3com does not have any support for this nic.

Are there any easily aquired PCI or USB nic's that are verified to work with this build of Vista?

Thanks

John M

Saturday, May 12, 2007 10:29 AM
  • You can "update" the 3com driver to make it work. Just update it and use the MARVEL - Generic Yukon from the drivers list. After u install it your 3com will be running 10/100. Enough so u can connect to ASUS and download the official 3Com Driver.

Hope that helps.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 3:36 PM