none
MDK 2013 ADK 8.1 VMware 5.1 deploy windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use lite touch boot image to deploy a windows 8.1 install task sequence.

MDT 2013 installed on Windows 2012 R2 vm  with ADK 8.1 installed

Win 8.1 ent image

VMware tools application 

I create my distribution share using MDT 2013 workbench.  Everything goes well there.  I then copy the Lite touch x64 iso to my VMware vcenter and upload to a Datastore.    I attach this iso to the CD for a new VM and start the VM, I get the windows 8 boot screen (blue 4 pane window with spinny beads).  It runs for a short while then goes black then comes back with an install windows error box "the computer restarted unexpectedly  or encountered an unexpected error.  Windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.

Since this is before we get to the Acceleration wizard stage of the lite touch installation, It seems to be the lite touch boot image that is erroring.  Is there something I need to do to make the lite touch boot image complete its installation on a vmware 5.1 vm?

VM: SCSI LSI Logic SAS, network adapter - vmxnet 3

Looking forward to your advice.

Fred Zilz

Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:59 PM

All replies

• have you added the "vmware" nic and storagedriver to winpe?
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:51 PM
  • I added the drivers to the distribution share and updated it, which caused the winpe image to be recreated.

I also tried running this after removing all drivers. to see if there was a problem with the drivers I installed to the distribution share.

__I just created a new VM using the default vm settings for a windows 8 VM;   which uses a different network adapter (e1000e).  I don't see anything else different other than I had removed the unneeded devices (floppy) and the LPT and Com ports from the VM that failed.  On this VM the image loaded with out an issue.

I am going to try creating another VM and use the vmxnet3 to see if this is the difference.  If so, I will try adding the driver for this adapter again to see if that is the problem.

Fred Zilz

Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:24 PM
  • Have you checked the VMware server 2012 install guide?

http://partnerweb.vmware.com/GOSIG/Windows_Server_2012.html

VV

Friday, October 25, 2013 9:21 PM
  • Sorry, I can't follow the steps above you provided.   "Blue 4 pane window with spinny beads" does not help me understand where this failed.

IF you *did* go through the MDT Litetouch Wizard, and the Task Sequence Started successfully, If the machine rebooted into OS setup, and failed there. Then check the panther logs for more information.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Sunday, October 27, 2013 11:52 PM
  • I know "windows blue four pane and spiny beads" is not a good description, but I could not figure out any other way to describe it, as the wizard has not started, there is not an operating system nor drive yet, so I don't know where any logs would be. It was failing when trying to boot the lite touch boot image. As new virtual machines seem to be working fine, It has to have been something I did when creating the first Virtual machine. I have no idea what.

Fred Zilz

Monday, October 28, 2013 3:21 AM