none
% of project completed by month (during Planning) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to know the percentage of tasks concluded by month during the planning using MS Project. For example: I'm planning this month (May-2104) a project that begins in Jun-2104 and will last 7 months (from Jun to Dec-2104). When I conclude the plan in MS Project (in the end of May) I want to know the percentage by month of conclusion in my Project that can be: Jun = 5%, Jul = 20%, Aug = 30%, Sep = 50%, Oct = 70%, Nov = 90% and Dec = 100%.

How can I do it?

Thanks for you help!

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 12:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Eduardo,

Without knowing which version (2007, 2010, 2013) you're using neither if you're connected to Project Server, there are many answers for your need.

Basically, let's say that a custom field with a simple formula won't help you since you need a timephased data.

What I can see for a simple resolution would be to use the visual reports (budgeted work for example) and to use work and cumulative (baseline) work. Writing a formula in Excel will give you the % complete for each month.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 1:30 AM
  • Or copy task names and finish dates to Excel (no summary tasks) then use countif formulae for each month. Format finish date as mmm yyyy

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:23 AM
  • I'm working with 2010 version.

Can you help with this formula you mentioned to write in Excel?

Thanks,

Eduardo.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:26 AM
  • Hello

Thanks. Can you help with the formula you mentioned?

Regards,

Eduardo.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:28 AM
  • Hi

Before writing a formula, you need to determine weither you want the % of task completed or the % of work completed by month, which is pretty different. I'd suggest the second one, since it you have a high variance between tasks durations (some very long tasks and some very short tasks), the first option will make no sense.

Note also that in my example below, you might want to use the baseline work instead of the work.

Here is how you could do:

In MS Project:

• insert the "summary" column and filter on "no" to filter out summary tasks
    • copy task name, work and finish date columns

In Excel:

• Paste the selection
    • Create a 4th column "cumulative work". Each cumulative work n will be equal to work n + cumulative n-1. Except for the first task cumulative work value that obviously will be equal to the work.
    • Create a 5th column "cumulative %" equal to cumulative work / sum of all work

You'll have the planned cumulative % complete by date.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 12:18 PM