Outlook 2016 prompts for Microsoft (Live) Password on non Hybrid Exchange 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I think U have tried every solution which is found on this Forum without success, I certainly have been through https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bcd2d9c2-1a1b-4446-bf32-69fee8cdf11b/why-does-outlook-keep-prompting-for-password?forum=outlook Without resolution, I have asked on a number of Microsoft and although I received an number of responses eventually they say they are unable to help further.

Where my case is different, Outlook firsts asks for the logins to the account on the domain when this is entered and saved, it then asks for the login to Microsoft (Live) for these accounts one can be supplied because that email address does have a Live login, the other account cannot supply a password because it does not have a live account and cannot setup a Live account because it's login is with a user on a .local domain. I have a full description of the setup below.

This issue started after a migration of Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016 it is not a hybrid setup. All the mailboxes migrated successfully and all the other Outlook clients (2013 and 2016) work without issue. The Outlook account which is giving issues accesses 4 mailboxes, 2 are E3 mailboxes and 2 are on prem mailboxes, one of the on prem mailboxes is setup to receive mail and send mail on behalf of the other mailbox, these 2 on prem mailboxes have different domains, one is user@domain.com.au the other is user@otherdomain.com, both were setup with a domain.local login. The account user@otherdomain.com has a login otheruser@domain.local it does not have a Microsoft Account (it can’t because it’s login is .local) and is only an on prem account. The account which is the default account and the main account user@domain.com.au happens to also have a Microsoft (live) Account but this account has a different password to it's login when asked for the password for the Microsoft Account if the local password is entered it fails but if the Live Password is entered it is accepted. Outlook can find the account (it did this some days ago with an Outlook popup) otheruser@domain.local (I believe this password is stored so does not now need to be entered now because of this) but I think it tries to authenticate to the Microsoft (live) Account which does not exist. I believe it returns the "Need Password" error because that account (user@otherdomain.com) has been given the right to receive and sent emails on it's behalf to user@domain.com.au.

I realise this is very long winded but from previous posts I think all the above is needed to explain the situation.

From my research over the last week I'm wondering if the Registry edit HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover with one of the following: DWORDS may be the answer but I wonder which is the following is appropriate.

• Moved by Perry-Pan Monday, April 1, 2019 2:58 AM
    Sunday, March 31, 2019 8:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Bill,

Could you please tell me which account asks for the login to Microsoft?

Given this situation, it is suggested to configure your four email account in four different profiles and see the results.

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, April 1, 2019 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got your issue fixed?

Please feel free to post back if you need further assistance on this.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 1:39 AM
  • Hi Aidan,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I did not receive an email telling me of the response. 

No the issue is not fixed, the account which asks for the login to Microsoft is user@otherdomain.com, which cannot be satisfied. The account user@domain.com.au also asked for the login from Microsoft but this could be given as it has a Microsoft account. As 

I have these accounts on another computer and they do not ask for the Microsoft login on that machine. However, that machine may not have had the latest updates as it has not been in use for some time.

Regards,

Bill

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 2:50 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried configure your four email account in four different profiles? Please let me know the result so that I can help you better.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Monday, April 8, 2019 9:54 AM
  • Hi Aidan,

Thanks for your response, when I try to create a new profile, I put in the email account, it then takes me to a Microsoft Account screen which I can complete because this mailbox is the same as a Microsoft Account, it then tries to connect and I get the popup (which I don't seem to be able to attach) saying an encrypted connection is not available.I believe Outlook 2016 needs an encrypted connection to function, is that correct?

This is an onprem Exchange mailbox, I don't believe it should be asking me for a Microsoft Account!

Bill

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 11:25 PM
  • Hi Aidan,

It's been quite some time since I've heard from you, in the meantime, I've endeavoured to setup up Outlook from fresh on the same PC with a different user login. Setup asks if I wish to setup user@domain.com.au (the same mailbox as the problematical Outlook installation uses, when I click yes, it asks for a Microsoft Account password for user@domain.local the local login for the user logged in to the PC. This of course is not available. The whole thing seems to revolve around modern authentication which is assuming local accounts have a Microsoft Account.

I have added a login to another machine and installed Outlook 2013, this connected to exchange for the mailbox account which I have been having problems with no issues.

I deduce, that the issue is probably with the setup of Windows 10, this has been installed for at least 12 months without experiencing these issues. 

I'm unsure how to troubleshoot further, is there a setting in Windows 10 which would make Outlook look for Modern Authentication over local authentication?

Apart from a clean install of Windows 10, which I am clearly not wanting to do, have you any suggestions on how to overcome this issue.

Bill

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 5:21 AM
  • Hi Aidan,

It's now a month since I've heard from you, I take it you have given up. Well I have not!

I have done the following: Installed a new win 10 Pro 1809 on a machine, joined it to the domain and installed Office 2019 Pro.

I then added the 4 accounts all added successfully. 2 to an on premises Exchange 2016 server and 2 to E3 accounts.

I think that points to the issue being with the configuration of the Win 10 installation with the troublesome Outlook.

I have no idea what changed the Windows 10 machine about 2 months ago but certainly something did.

The question is how to change it back.

Am I asking this on the wrong forum?

Bill

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 4:01 AM