none
PTO Project Timesheet Data RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In our current project server, we are having resources submit 0 hours if they are on PTO. We do not have a general task to submit hours against for time off. However, when the resources submit 0 hours across their current task, in the resource usage view, hours do not appear nor do the number zero show up. Therefore, when I pull resource data to get a week view of timesheet data of our resources, I do not know who hasn't submitted timesheet or took PTO. Keep in mind that we have about over 300 resources and I end up getting blanks when indeed the resource has submitted a 0 hour timesheet. Is there any way to show that the number 0 can populate into the project plan? This works in some instances, most times it doesnt'.

Johnny Eltawn, Project Server Admin

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 10:28 PM

All replies

• Johnny --

I hate to break the bad news to you, but you are not handling PTO work correctly with the Timesheet page in PWA.  You should be using the built-in Administrative category for this named Vacation instead.  That will take care of the scheduling needs you are seeking to address.

Regarding entering 0h of Actual Work, this generally only works when the user enters some Actual Work on the first day of the timesheet period and some Actual Work on the last day of the timesheet period.  In this case, Project Server will infer that the other days in between these two have 0h of Actual Work.

So, I believe you really need to rethink how you are addressing PTO in your organization.  If you use the built-in Vacation category of Administrative time, this data would be reportable in BI reports.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, September 17, 2015 12:06 AM
  • For some odd reason my organization decided not to use the built in Admin time. TO report admin time when they report PTO, does this show up resource was on PTO in resource usage view in our project plans? Or is this function generally to let managers know in PWA when approving timesheets? I generate reports through project so most of the data we capture are actuals that are generated from status updates into project. 

Friday, September 25, 2015 5:10 PM
  • Johnny --

Excellent follow up questions, my friend.  The Vacation category of Administrative time serves to primary purposes in Project Server and Project Online:

• When a resource submits planned or actual Vacation time, the system sets the Vacation time period as nonworking time on the resource's calendar in the Enterprise Resource Pool.  This in turn causes enterprise project tasks to be rescheduled automatically around the nonworking time of the resource in question.
    • The Vacation category is reportable in BI Center reports.  Using a custom report, you can show all of the planned and actual vacation time used up for every resource in your instance.

Based on the information I have just documented, I would strongly encourage your leadership to change their minds about not using the Administrative time categories, as their are major benefits to be gained by using them.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, September 25, 2015 6:43 PM
  • Thank you Dale. Sorry i have not followed up on this topic as I have been quite busy. What would be the best way to have resources reflect 0h on timesheets? I read your post above and have tested putting in 0 on monday and 0 on a sunday (end of reporting period), but blanks come up when pulling timesheet data. For resources I am looking to find with unsubmitted timesheet reports, I pull this data through a overall "Resource Usage" view and filter by reporting Week to show actual hours. It has been difficult to track as I've reached out to those who have submitted 0's across the week, thinking they did not submit a timesheet for PTO but in fact they have. We don't use the admin category either because this doesn't reflect on this report that I pull. What's the best way to find out resources who have/have not submitted timesheets? Are my methods incorrect? 

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 5:58 PM
  • Johnny --

Have you tried building a report in the Business Intelligence Center?  You should be able to build a report that will show you the status of each timesheet, such as Pending Submit.  That is how I would handle this.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 6:38 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks for your response. I have not tried building any BI reports as I don't have that expertise. I have dealt with reports previously with customized reporting solutions w/ Server that was built in the past. I'm running the server on our enterprise environment so I don't have access into the reports that we may have. Is there any simpler way to go about this? I know BI reports may involve using SRSS, which to my knowledge, is not that great. 

Thursday, December 3, 2015 1:45 AM