none
IE11 Troubleshooting PAC file issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everybody, 

we have some strange issues on some of our clients - approx. 5% out of 3.500 clients. 

We are using a PAC file to assign the Proxy Server to our clients. 

The PAC file itself is hosted on an IIS Webserver and works fine in various browsers, f.i. IE, Firefox and Chrome, but on some random clients IE kind of ignores the PAC file. 

So you can open our Intranet Sites but no external sites - so IE does access the site direct - as mentioned above because it is either ignoring the PAC file or it is interpreting in the wrong way and returns "DIRECT" instead of the Proxy. 

I recently connected to one client when the issue occurred and tested the following to access external sites (Intranet sites always worked) 

-PAC file configured in IE11: --> external sites did not work 
    -entering the Proxy in IE11 directly: external sites worked 

-PAC file configured in Chrome: external sites worked 
    -entering the Proxy in Chrome directly: external sites worked 

My problem is that i cannot find any Logfiles which tell me how IE is interpreting the PAC file and if it even tries to load it. 

Also the "alert" function which i used in the past to troubleshoot issues is not working in IE11 anymore - it is ignored. 

Restarting the client or resetting IE solves the problem but it comes back randomly. 

So my question to all of you is how would you try to troubleshoot this? 

Is a Logfile of IE11 available or can be activated somehow? 
    Since the "alert" command is ignored in IE11 is there an alternative command which could help in those cases? 
    Thanks for your comments 

Thanks and Greetings 

Patrick

Monday, August 22, 2016 2:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you to manually configure a proxy server in the pac file to test if you can connect to internet.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2777643/en-us

Also check this article for reference:

Understanding Web Proxy Configuration:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ieinternals/2013/10/11/understanding-web-proxy-configuration/

If the problem still persists, I’m afraid you may need to repair or reinstall IE.

How to repair or reinstall Internet Explorer in Windows:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/318378

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to <b>mark the replies as an answers</b> if they help and <b> unmark</b> them if they provide no help.<br/> If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact <a href="mailto:tnmff@microsoft.com"> tnmff@microsoft.com</a>.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 11:44 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem? How about the solution we have provided? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to <b>mark the replies as an answers</b> if they help and <b> unmark</b> them if they provide no help.<br/> If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact <a href="mailto:tnmff@microsoft.com"> tnmff@microsoft.com</a>.

Friday, August 26, 2016 6:15 AM