none
Secondary external DNS Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys. 

This is our scenario, we have a Windows Server 2003 with DNS Server role (not AD integrated), we use it as our public DNS server, we host just one domain, the server has the A records pointing to our public IP, ns, mx, etc. The problem is that if the server is down we stop receiving emails because our mx records and other records are stored in this server, obviousy dns lookup from outside will not work.

We also have a Windows 2008 R2 server where I have installed the DNS role and configured the secondary zone that points to the primary DNS Server and everything is replicating fine.

I would be forever grateful if someone guide me on the next steps to make this work in a way that once the primary dns server goes down the secondary could respond to the queries from outside. What else I need to do? Sorry if I was not clear enough, any question just let me know.

Thanks.

Johan C

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 6:58 PM

Answers

• Thanks again Candy, I have discovered the problem, everthing was configured correctly but it was my firewall blocking the requests on port 53 to the secondary server.

Regards.

Johan C

• Marked as answer by johancas08 Friday, September 1, 2017 5:15 PM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 5:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Johan C,

>>We also have a Windows 2008 R2 server where I have installed the DNS role and configured the secondary zone that points to the primary DNS Server and everything is replicating fine.

>>once the primary dns server goes down the secondary could respond to the queries from outside

As far as I know, this can be done by configuring the secondary zone that points to the primary DNS server.

But 2008 R2 DNS server is not able to write entries as a secondary DNS server is read-only. So in case the primary DNS server is not available new registrations can't be done.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 31, 2017 3:30 AM
  • Hi Candy, thank you for the reply, I have checked and replication is working fine, however I have turned off the prmary dns server and then the secondary server is not replying. I used the dns lookup tool https://mxtoolbox.com/DNSLookup.aspx and when primary dns server is down none A record is found after run the dns lookup. I must be missing something.

Regards.

Johan C

Thursday, August 31, 2017 3:42 PM
  • Hi Johan C

Please check the event logs to see if there are some useful information for us to troubleshooting.

There is NO automatic failover between configured DNS servers on machines NICs. Please try to reboot the client to check if the error still occurs.

According to Miccrosoft offical document, if there is no response from Alternate DNS server,it will query to the Preferred DNS server. 

For your reference:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/networking/2009/06/26/dns-client-resolver-behavior/
    Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 1, 2017 7:29 AM
  • Thanks again Candy, I have discovered the problem, everthing was configured correctly but it was my firewall blocking the requests on port 53 to the secondary server.

Regards.

Johan C

• Marked as answer by johancas08 Friday, September 1, 2017 5:15 PM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 5:15 PM