how did I allow my limited account to access the admin shares? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old computer installed with Windows XP Professional.
    Somehow some years ago I managed to make it possible to access the \\slickswintel\c$\ and \\slickswintel\d$\ with my limited account "slick"'s credentials.
    I don't even get asked for a login/pass since I have the same limited account configured on ALL my computers with the same password, except the Windows Vista/7 computer calls it a "Standard account". I also have the same admin account configured on all my computers.

Somebody else asked how I did it, as they can only do it from one XP computer to another when using an admin account. I can't remember. I've searched, and I've seen posts that say it can't be done. I have proof it can be done, can somebody point me to the correct procedure on how it was set up to grant another account the right to access the admin shares (C$ and d$)?

The computer in question is so old that it's a Windows 98SE/Windows XP Professional dual boot, with the C drive as FAT32 and the second hard drive portioned into two partitions, one NTFS for Windows XP and the other FAT32 for data.
    Hence why there are two Windows folders in the picture. The D$ share is NTFS, so FAT32 has nothing to do with it.

The picture was made using dual monitors and Remote Desktop. Do I need to show that I'm logged in as a the limited user Slick on the Windows 7 computer while I logged in as the admin so I could show the user accounts on the XP machine? I should be using my limited/standard (not sure what word to use since I'm mixing XP and 7. I'm logged in as a 7 Standard user which should be supplying my credentials to the XP machine, which has a corresponding limited account) credentials when I accessed \\slickswintel\c$\ and \\slickswintel\d$\.

Just for the nitpickers, the client computer OS doesn't matter, as I get equal results using my Windows XP laptop, so I guess I should have used the term limited account. I just found it more convenient to use the desktop I'm sitting at instead of booting the laptop. I just want to know if I can set up the same deal on the Windows 7 computer, or even the laptop, and somebody else asked me how I rigged it when they saw me do it and I couldn't remember.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 9:57 AM

All replies

• In general you couldn't access administrator account if you are limit account user unless you have special permission to specific folder or location by administrator. There were vulnerabilities that limit user could gain access to admin account using limit user account which they have been addressed through Microsoft Update, if a system is out of date, those vulnerabilities could exploit.

If you are aware of such vulnerability please report the source, steps to reproduce the problem and any additional details to MSRC:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/msrc/report.aspx

Sunday, September 22, 2013 11:20 AM
  • The system is fully patched as of Thursday with Windows XP SP3. I am the admin, and I'd like to know how I set it up so that my limited account could access the admin shares for read-only access.

It's not the "administrative account", it is the built-in file shares c$ and d$ that let you access the entire hard drive almost as if you were sitting at the console. They are commonly called "administrative shares" on many web pages.

This is my home system on a workgroup, I control both the SlickRCBD (admin) and Slick (limited/standard) user on all computers in the house, although from the scroll-bar you can see there are other limited/standard accounts on the system. I know my accounts and passwords are mirrored on all computers.

Please reread my post and see what I'm asking.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 12:26 PM
  • None of this has anything to do with my question. Please reread the original post.

How do I reproduce what I have set up on another system? I have a limited account that can read the built-in c$ share.

Stock systems can't do that. How did I set it up?

I don't want to flame people, but I don't know if I'm just not being clear enough or if the two people who responded have reading comprehension problems. What does the OEM install of Windows 98 have to do with my question? I can't use it at the same time as I'm running XP and I'm clearly using XP on that system. Also I sure as hell don't need Windows server, and I'm asking on behalf of another HOME USER. I just provided proof that server is not needed, I just can't remember how to set it up. Here's a picture of what I'm trying to remember how to set up:

I'm talking about the two shares that I highlighted. How do I go to a new system (or somebody else's, but I'm going to practice on my old virtual machine I used in college for now so I can verify it works without messing with a live system) and set it up so that a limited account can access them like I can with my old computer?

I definitly do NOT want a Server solution, I want to reproduce this solution on another computer. It does NOT require Server and Windows 98SE has nothing to do with it save that it accounts for the reason I have two Windows folders on two partitions.

Sorry for the ranting nature, it's just that I'm getting solutions to questions I'm not asking, and as I said, I'm not sure if I'm not making it clear what I'm asking or if they just have reading comprehension problems.I don't know a nicer way to put this.

If I need to explain better, please ask rather than guess wrong and offer useless answers that don't have anything to do with the question.

• Edited by SlickRCBD Sunday, September 22, 2013 2:36 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Soh.M Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:21 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by SlickRCBD Friday, September 27, 2013 5:43 AM
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 2:22 PM
  • I apologize for the previous post, I have been thinking, and I'm just not diplomatic enough to figure out a nicer way of saying what I said. I'm good with computers, not words.

OK, let me demonstrate. I've already shown that on my real system I can access the C$ default share with my limited account "slick".

However, on my old virtual machine from college, when I enter \\virtxpp\c$\ I get the following, even though I can access the test share using my limited account login credentials.

How do I configure the virtual machine "virtxpp" so I can access the default share \\virtxpp\c$\ using the host system's standard account "slick" the same way I can access the real system's default share \\slickswintel\c$\ ? I forgot how to do that. Both are XP Professional that have been patched to SP3.

P.S. Is there a way to get the "print screen" button to only take a snapshot from the primary screen on a dual monitor system or an easier way to crop it? I tired moving the other screen image off to the left in Paint and then change the size to 1280x1024, but as you can see I was a little off in the first part.

P.P.S. Why does Windows 7 revert the window to the previous path where I simply used an existing shortcut to open an explorer window quickly instead of showing the path I'm trying to access (\\virtxpp\c$) that I typed into the location bar when showing the "access denied, enter credentials" dialog box? I though previous versions would show what I typed into the title bar, but I never noticed until I uploaded the screen shot.

Most of my experience has been with Windows 95, 98SE, and XP, with the occasional use of Windows 2000 in community college computer labs so I kinda ignore stuff I'm extremely familiar with like entering network paths into explorer windows.

• Edited by SlickRCBD Monday, September 23, 2013 2:34 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 2:22 PM
    • How do I configure the virtual machine "virtxpp" so I can access the default share \\virtxpp\c$\ using the host system's standard account "slick" the same way I can access the real system's default share \\slickswintel\c$\ ?

Do you remember if modify the security for user? Did you give the limited user full access to the drive?

I modified something, but I don't recall what. It's been years since I did it.

I know I tweaked a few security settings to lesson a few restrictions on "Slick" that I saw as harmless in my situation. I can't recall all the details and I can't find the piece of paper where I wrote everything down as it's not in the drawer with all the other notes.  I was hoping somebody would remember how to take a default install of Windows XP Professional (as in put the Windows XP Professional CD in, go through the installation process, then put put the SP2 CD in, run that, then put the SP3 CD in, run that, and that's it. Now set up the users accounts and you're done) and configure the "default share"s so that a limited account can handle it. I'd use my virtual machine from when I was in college to test the procedure.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:24 PM
  • In theory it shouldn't matter as long as I patched it up to SP3. SP3 came out while I was in school, so it's there.
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:50 PM
  • Can we stick with reproducing something I accomplished years ago and lay off the pessimistic "I don't know, so it's not worth doing"?

I'd also like to do the same thing with my Windows 7 computer as the XP machine.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:23 AM
  • Most of the ideas you bring up are part of the Windows Server policies that corporates uses to deal with employees who as you know vary in their performance.

That is managed with the GPEDIT tool included with the server. It dovetails with active directory etc.

I'm not sure what you mean. Active directory and Windows Server has little to do with what I'm talking about.

I'm using Windows XP Professional on a workgroup. I'm trying to figure out how to let my limited account "Slick" access the \\slickswintel\c$\ default share that is often called the administrative share because by default only a local administrator can access it. Look at the pictures in my various posts. I know it can be done, as I did it many years ago, but I can't recall how. The standard procedure for changing a share permission doesn't work, so I'm asking how I did it.

It's as simple as that, no need to complicate the question throwing in irrelevant stuff like Active Directory or Windows Server. I'm positive that had nothing to do with it. I never joined this system to a domain.

Friday, September 27, 2013 5:38 AM
  • How will slip-streaming allow me to access the "Default shares" with my limited account? The computer is already installed and set up.

Vegan Fanatic, I'm starting to believe you have a reading comprehension problem or are just a troll. You are answering questions I'm not asking, focusing on irrelevant bits, and totally ignoring the topic of this thread. I normally wouldn't feed the troll, but your buddy proposing your useless response about server as the answer means I can't just ignore it.

It also galls me that I keep getting an error when I try to "unpropose as answer" the useless, irrelevant response of yours that that idiot proposed as the answer.

I'm sorry, but I'm frustrated that you can't seem to figure out what I'm asking and keep responding with stuff that has nothing to do with the issue.

• Edited by SlickRCBD Friday, September 27, 2013 7:47 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2013 7:44 PM
  • windows for workgroups, you need a sever to do what you want

That is absurd, since I have a live system in the pictures that does exactly that without a server.

LOOK AT MY REPLIES AND LOOK AT THE PICTURES. I did it once, but I can't recall how. I'd like to do it again.

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:50 PM
  • How will slip-streaming allow me to access the "Default shares" with my limited account? The computer is already installed and set up.

Vegan Fanatic, I'm starting to believe you have a reading comprehension problem or are just a troll. You are answering questions I'm not asking, focusing on irrelevant bits, and totally ignoring the topic of this thread. I normally wouldn't feed the troll, but your buddy proposing your useless response about server as the answer means I can't just ignore it.

It also galls me that I keep getting an error when I try to "unpropose as answer" the useless, irrelevant response of yours that that idiot proposed as the answer.

I'm sorry, but I'm frustrated that you can't seem to figure out what I'm asking and keep responding with stuff that has nothing to do with the issue.

In my personal experience, Vegan Fanatic tends to go off topic quite easily.  I do not know if it will help or not, but I found this which seems like it might be what you are looking for.  Hopefully it is, or will help jog your memory as to what you did originally.  There are two solutions on the page that might be useful.

Friday, September 27, 2013 10:24 PM