Action Center has one message - download and install a missing driver for your raid controller RRS feed

• Question

• Under Win 7 Home Premium, the Action Center has one message - "download and install a missing driver for your raid controller".  Clicking on the message takes you to a Window which says that your raid controller is missing a driver, and offers to have you download the driver from the Intel website.  You can click through to the Intel site, which offers 2 versions of an installer for Intel Rapid Storage Technology.  I download the one for English.  I install it, it appears to install without any problems.  I reboot, and a while later check the Action Center.  It still has the exact same message.

Running the Intel Control Center shows that you have installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology.  It also shows the PC; a laptop with Win 7 SP1 (which happens to be fully patched through Monday), running with a T8100 and 4 gb of ram.  It shows the 2 hard drives, both 3gbps SATA's - the first 320gb, the 2nd 500gb.

Further notes; until days ago this PC had only a 320gb.  It came from HP with Vista.  It was recently repaired (the famous HP missing Webcam problem) and came back with Vista on it instead of Win 7.  I reinstalled 7, had activation problems (handled on the phone).  I also put a 500gb drive in the 2nd drive bay.  I had a bsod with an iastor.sys error.  Installed the iastor related drivers from the Intel web site.    FWIW, there is no 'raid' controller in device manager.

The system seems to be working very nicely otherwise.  Can anyone please help fix the problem of the 'missing' driver?

One possibly related question.  I have an Intel 4965agn wifi card (original from HP).  I try to give it the latest drivers from the Intel site.  They appear to install but when I check device manager I still have the old driver.

Ron
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Ron,

It seems the issue happened after you add this new 500GB hard drive. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Based on your description, I suggest you insert the Windows installation disc and perform an In-Place Upgrade. If still not work, backup the data and clean install the Windows 7.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, December 2, 2011 7:37 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 6:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Ron,

It seems the issue happened after you add this new 500GB hard drive. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Based on your description, I suggest you insert the Windows installation disc and perform an In-Place Upgrade. If still not work, backup the data and clean install the Windows 7.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, December 2, 2011 7:37 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 6:48 AM
  • Ouch.  And you are correct, that I noticed it after I installed the drive.  Right now the message is gone, but if it comes back, I'll know what to do (but man, that is really painful)!

Can you explain what happened, why the message came up?

Thanks,

Ron

Ron
    Friday, November 11, 2011 7:08 AM
  • Interestingly enough the message has not come back since, and I sure hope it doesn't.  But if it does, I know the pain I have to go through!

Thanks,

Ron

Ron
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:01 AM