none
How can I pin two shortcuts to task bar for the same program? RRS feed

• Question

• I run Thunderbird with two profiles; the profile is specified as a command line argument. Right now I have a shortcut pinned to the task bar to open one profile and a shortcut on the desktop to open the other profile. I cannot figure out how to get both shortcuts pinned to the task bar so they can each be opened with a single click.

If I right-click on the desktop icon, it give as option to Unpin from the task bar. If I copy that shortcut from the desktop to %APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned, it does not show up there.

How can I get both as quick launch on the task bar?

• Edited by AZBruno Tuesday, August 8, 2017 6:18 PM
    Tuesday, August 8, 2017 6:18 PM

Answers

• I've solved the problem. I created a Junction (mklink /J) for a new folder linked to the Thunderbird Program Files. I could then use the link to create a second shortcut that could be pinned to the Quick Launch taskbar. Seems to work perfectly.

I first tried to create a symbolic link to just the executable using mklink. I created a shortcut to that and was able to pin it, but once I opened the program it combined with the other pinned shortcut (even though Combine Taskbar Buttons is set to Never). Also, this new shortcut could not handle the first icon in the .exe file.

• Proposed as answer by Tony_TaoModerator Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by AZBruno Tuesday, August 15, 2017 5:11 PM
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 11:51 PM

All replies

• I can pin two different shortcuts to the same .exe to the task bar, when I edit the "target" to add the command, and the shortcuts have different names. (tested with to shortcuts to notepad.exe, one with an additional parameter)
    Tuesday, August 8, 2017 7:31 PM
  • EckiS, can you be more specific about the order of events. I'm not having such luck. I created a shortcut on the desktop to a different program. I pinned it to the taskbar. Then I edited the shortcut to change the program name to the same as the other pinned shortcut and the new one was then no longer pinned.

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 7:56 PM
  • I create one Shortcut to "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe" on my desktop, named "notepad.exe-Shortcut"
    I copy the the Shortcut as "notepad.exe-Shortcut - Copy".
    I edit the properties of the copy: target = C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe "C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log"

Now I drag and drop both shortcuts to the task bar and get two notepad icons with different behaviour: one opens an empty notepad, the other opens the file.
    I can then even delete the shortcuts on my desktop, and the ones on the taskbar remain functional.

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 8:44 PM
  • Does not work for me. I can drag one to the taskbar and it pins it. But I cannot drop the second one to the task bar. I have not tried it with Notepad, but with Thunderbird it does not work.

UPDATE: Works for Notepad. Does not work for Thunderbird.

• Edited by AZBruno Wednesday, August 9, 2017 12:41 AM
    Tuesday, August 8, 2017 9:15 PM
  • I've solved the problem. I created a Junction (mklink /J) for a new folder linked to the Thunderbird Program Files. I could then use the link to create a second shortcut that could be pinned to the Quick Launch taskbar. Seems to work perfectly.

I first tried to create a symbolic link to just the executable using mklink. I created a shortcut to that and was able to pin it, but once I opened the program it combined with the other pinned shortcut (even though Combine Taskbar Buttons is set to Never). Also, this new shortcut could not handle the first icon in the .exe file.

• Proposed as answer by Tony_TaoModerator Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by AZBruno Tuesday, August 15, 2017 5:11 PM
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 11:51 PM
  • Glad to hear this issue has been solved by yourself. Thanks for sharing,I will introduce this experience to other forum users who face the same condition.Pleasemark the reply as an answer:)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:50 AM
  • I'm having the same problem - I have a few outlook profiles and want to create different icons on the taskbar but when I copy one of my desktop shortcuts that opens a specific outlook profile, it won't let me add a second one to the taskbar.   I'm not sure if this is a new problem with win 10 1903 as I used to have multiple outlook profiles in my taskbar.
    Monday, September 9, 2019 4:49 AM