Games Explorer opens very slowly, Diagnosed, need help to cure. RRS feed

• Question

• This is an old topic but, I just figured out what exactly is causing it to be so slow, now I need help correcting it.

Symptom: The games explorer menu, or window, takes a very long time to load all the shortcuts.

Frequency: There seems to be a cycle time though I haven't taken the time to define it. Once the menu is allowed to fully load, it will do so instantly for a certain amount of time. After that amount of time it then loads slowly once again restarting the cycle.

Reproducible: 100%

Cause: Real-time AV scanning is scanning something to do with the menu.

Evidence:

#1 Using Process Explorer* you can see MsMpEng.exe fire up, and on my system using 25% cpu resources, when you open the menu/window and run until the shortcuts finally load, then stop.

#2 If you disable real-time scanning** the menu loads instantly, every time.

I  need to know what exactly is being scanned, why it's being scanned, and how to stop it from being scanned.

I have tried adding the "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer" folder to the exclusion list as this is where the shortcuts seem to be actually created. This made no difference.

I've tried adding the "C:\Games" folder too as I install all my games there. This made no difference.

Using Games Explorer Manager I have modified every shortcut so that the AppPathExe = the actual game.exe and not the file created by windows. This made no difference.

Using the same program I also removed any url's*** from each shortcut. This made no difference.

Please read my entire post before responding.

Please DO NOT suggest any actions you yourself have not personally confirmed the result of.

Please DO NOT reply with some moronic form letter that assumes I am stupid or ignorant.

* http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

** I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7 Pro x64

*** I have the Games Explorer Options set to "Never Check online for updates and news" and have unchecked both "Download art and information" and "Collect most recently played game information".

• Edited by Sqrly Friday, May 31, 2013 4:34 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 4:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For the files being scanned, you can contact anti-virus support for more help. Since you are using MSE, here is a link for your reference:

Support for Microsoft Security Essentials

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/15931

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:21 AM
  • "Please DO NOT reply with some moronic form letter that assumes I am stupid or ignorant."

I guess you missed that part.

That it is MSE I am using for AV software is irrelevant as the issue is the same with other AV software too.

I do not mean what I do not say.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 5:12 PM