none
Group Policy Problem

Question

• I don't know where to begin with this one and am looking for suggestions on where to start troubleshooting. We are a school system and have the typical group policies for desktops Mapped drives, shortcuts on the desktop etc. Out of ever class that logs in there are 2-3 PC's that don't get the policies that session. If you run gpupdate on them manually they download and work. Occasionally some of the ones that do not get policies get the below error but not always. Its never the same machines or users nor time of day etc. And since running it manually works there doesn't seem to be any problems. Can anyone give me a direction to look at?

The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\domain\sysvol\crcsd.abc\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient and could be caused by one or more of the following:

a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller.

b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller).

c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled.

Jason

Thursday, September 08, 2016 2:58 PM

Answers

• I've tried all that, also I forgot to mention this is only happening on our new Windows 10 PC's and pretty inconstantly on them the 8.1 ones we have aren't experiencing this problem. So thats steering me away form a server or AD problem mostly. I've opened a case with MS but no luck so far. Its hard to replicate the problem for them when it happens on 3 out of 20 machines in a class but never the same three or same user etc.

Jason

Monday, September 19, 2016 2:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please run RSOP.MSC  from the client machine and share the out put.

Thursday, September 08, 2016 3:18 PM
  • Hi ,

Please read this nice article which may help you.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ccba8171-2b4a-4437-ab45-bbdee8323ee2

Thursday, September 08, 2016 3:20 PM
  • I can't right now. The machines are in use but I have when I went out to the buildings and it does show the names of the policies as if they are applied but the Shortcuts and drives etc do not appear

Jason

Thursday, September 08, 2016 3:27 PM
  • a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller.

b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller).

c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Have you checked the possible causes one by one?

1. Please force DC replication manually:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816926(v=ws.10).aspx

2. Check the network connection between the clients having problems with the DCs.

Please run an ipconfig/all on the clients and check if you can ping the domain name when they can't apply GPO;

3. Check if the DFS client is disabled;

4. If the above things are well, while the issue still exits, please try if re-join the machine into the domain could help.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 09, 2016 8:51 AM
  • > \\domain\sysvol\crcsd.abc\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini

Repair sysvol replication.

Monday, September 12, 2016 3:28 PM
  • I've tried all that, also I forgot to mention this is only happening on our new Windows 10 PC's and pretty inconstantly on them the 8.1 ones we have aren't experiencing this problem. So thats steering me away form a server or AD problem mostly. I've opened a case with MS but no luck so far. Its hard to replicate the problem for them when it happens on 3 out of 20 machines in a class but never the same three or same user etc.

Jason

Monday, September 19, 2016 2:35 PM
  • Hi Jason,

>I've opened a case with MS but no luck so far.

Since you have opened a case with MS, then collect the GPSVC.log be of help for the troubleshooting:

To collect the GPSVC.log, we need to modify the following registry:

Subkey: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics

Entry: GpSvcDebugLevel

Type: REG_DWORD

Vaule data: 0x30002

If you get a solution from MS supporters, welcome to feed back here.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:48 AM
  • 2 months later 4 MS techs and cases. Still no luck

Jason

Tuesday, November 08, 2016 7:09 PM
  • 2 months later 4 MS techs and cases. Still no luck

Jason

There have been issues reported regarding W10 and UNC hardening. If you have enabled UNC hardening, as a test you could try on one problem-machine to disable it and see if it helps.

Check out this thread:

GPOs do not apply on Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Rolf Lidvall, Swedish Radio (Ltd)

Tuesday, November 08, 2016 9:04 PM
  • I found this a while back put out a reg fix to exclude the Sysvol share from UNC hardening. It helped on a few PC's but not the over all problem

Jason

Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:11 PM