Incident Description data not structured on E-Mail RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

After configuring the Incident management mail notification, we were not able to get the data in structured way on e-mail of HTML enabled notification templates.

Below is the Plain test notification Email:

Below is the Html notification Email:

Is that's the default behaviour ? 

Thanks Rahul$

• Edited by RahulSharma04 Wednesday, October 28, 2015 10:42 AM ok
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 10:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• The screenshot is from the email client?

What does the HTML code look like? It looks like there is a <br> missing.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 2:44 PM
  • Hi Rahul,

i think Patrick is right and you are missing a <br>. Please check the follwoing post for more details:

Creating Notification Templates in System Center Service Manager

From the article:

""Cool!  … but wait! What happened to the line break I entered in the template between the first and second paragraph?

If you look at the headers of the email, you can see that the Content-Type is set to ‘text/html’ so Outlook which is the mail client I am using for this attempts to render the plain text provided as best as it can and that is why you see the text formatted in the default Times New Roman font.  Since I didn’t provide any HTML tags in the email template and Service Manager doesn’t take the liberty of adding them for me, the text is essentially plain text without any kind of formatting including line breaks.

We can easily address this with a little HTML (like a <br/> tag called a “break”) which we can insert directly into the body of the message like this:"

Hope this helps. Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

The code has already the tag & below is the actual format of notification I am receiving on e-mail.

But look at the description part, it will not understand the line breakup & shows the data in continuous manner.

Thanks Rahul$

Thursday, October 29, 2015 6:27 AM
  • Where do you get this "Email Details"? - does not look like any app I know.

I have two other guesses

1. Maybe you send the notification in an language, where no HTML is defined
    2. The HTML Tags are “lost” on the way to the client – so I would check what text comes in on the mail server

Thursday, October 29, 2015 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

Email Details is just the name of the column.

Notification template language set on English (United States).

My Ask: If Html tags were lost or I send the notification without HTML selected, so how all the borders comes in the picture ?

Thanks Rahul$

Thursday, October 29, 2015 7:34 AM
  • Ok, the picture is from a part of an email client. The best way would be to post the HTML code.

I presume that the right column is the description field of Service Manager. So I’m back with my guess, there is a <br/> missing.

Thursday, October 29, 2015 7:46 AM
  • The problem lies in when SCSM is generating an HTML email from the ASCII/UNICODE text in the database.  The workflow does not convert ASCII/UNICODE line breaks ('\n') to HTML line breaks (</br>) for the text in the description field.  I've filed a connect entry for this.  Feel free to upvote it.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/Feedback/Details/1941317

Thursday, October 29, 2015 9:16 PM
  • Hi,

you got my vote. Let's wait and see.

Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, October 30, 2015 2:12 PM