Sidebar Gone, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit RRS feed

• Question

• After installing windows, my system installed a bunch of updates.

After the updates, my sidebar dissapeared.

I tried a few things i found online... Like registering the libraries again, deleting a registry entry, but nothing works.... Any ideas?

Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:20 AM

Answers

• If you have just installed updates, you should have a recent System Restore point. I would suggest using it and then revisiting Windows Update. This time applying a few updates at a time and checking for this issue as you proceed.
    • Marked as answer by Lefteris_B Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:53 PM
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:48 PM

All replies

• Actually, that didn't help.... I am aware that there's no sidebar on win7 and gadgets are floating.... The problem is that not only gadgets dissapeared... Even the gadget manager is not opening.....
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 12:35 PM
  • Done all the steps described on the link... Nothing helps,

Tried to reinstall a gadget but it shows "Unspecified Error" i assume that's because the proccess "sidebar.exe" is not running. Tried to execute it but nothing happens....

Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:55 PM
  • I've restarted many times.... I have no other active user profiles on my system....
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:04 PM
  • Please check in Task Manager to see if the "sidebar.exe" process is running.
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:10 PM
  • it is not. And i cannot start it manually, i open sidebar.exe and nothing happens
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:13 PM
  • When i try to install a gadget is says "Unspecified Error"
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:13 PM
  • I've created a new user profile... UAC is active at it's lowest level, but nothing changed... The gadgets fail to appear even in the new profile...
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:28 PM
  • Using regedit.exe, check to see if the following is present:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Windows\Sidebar
    Value: TurnOffSidebar
    Data: 1
    • Edited by mystifeid Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:33 PM
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:32 PM
  • If you have just installed updates, you should have a recent System Restore point. I would suggest using it and then revisiting Windows Update. This time applying a few updates at a time and checking for this issue as you proceed.
    • Marked as answer by Lefteris_B Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:53 PM
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:48 PM
  • Thats false actually... I used string variable by mistake... after adding a DWORD value for TurnOffSidebar with "0" value... the same problem appears

Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:49 PM
  • Thanks a lot for your consideration... I'll check with this... I assume that's because microsoft has discontinued gadgets... I guess microsoft loves to dissatisfy it's customers... Once again, thank you!
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:53 PM
  • If not too late, also check Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off (left pane)

Make sure Windows Gadget Platform is checked.
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 3:06 PM
  • Had checked this before... It was already enabled....
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 3:21 PM
  • I also removed and installed it again.... The same problem persists....
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 3:28 PM