none
Can't transfer VHD file to NTFS External Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I am on Windows 10 Ent 64 Bit and I'm trying to copy over a Hyper-V VHD Hard Drive that is 190 GB. I have 250 GB from on my NTFS External Hard Drive. When I try to copy over the file it fails saying that I need more space.

Should I change to ExFat Partition or should I try another copy routine?

I've tried the Hyper-V export, but failed, so I am copying over manually.
    Saturday, June 27, 2020 11:45 PM

All replies

• NTFS can handle much larger files so that isn't an issue. There may be other files not visible on the disk. 

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, June 28, 2020 3:35 AM
  • Hi,

>>Should I change to ExFat Partition or should I try another copy routine?

NTFS is ideal for internal drives, while exFAT is generally ideal for flash drives. Both of them have no realistic file-size or partition-size limits. If storage devices are not compatible with NTFS file system and you don't want to limited by FAT32, you can choose exFAT file system.

Obviously, the size of your VHD will not exceed the NTFS limit, so replacing exFAT will not solve the problem.

You should try to change a larger External driver to copy your VHD. Or you can do disk cleanup to make your VHD smaller.

Hope this can help.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Monday, June 29, 2020 6:59 AM
  • If a response is helpful, please mark it as an answer to help other community members with the same questions and quickly find useful answers.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Friday, July 3, 2020 1:39 AM