none
ELAMBKUP folder over 21 GB RRS feed

• Question

• On my HP 10n113dx notebook with a 32GB drive, the folder c:\Windows\ELAMBKUP size is reported by Windows 10 (version 1703) at over 21GB.  If I open the folder there is only 1 file, wdboot.sys at 44KB.  I think this may have something to do with an antimalware program such as McAfee which was installed but removed.  Windows Defender is the current antimalware app.

I have found precious little in Google searches regarding this folder. 

How should I proceed to get my drive space back?  Thanks!

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 1:51 AM

All replies

• The ELAMBKUP is the backup path for the Early Launch AntiMalware drivers and has nothing to do with McAfee!

Are you sure that the folder contains files that amounts to iver 21GB?

Set your folder option to view hidden files and folders and remove the check mark that protects system files in File Explorer and tell me if there's any other files in that folder?

To free up disk space make sure that System Protection is turned off and run an elevated (with administrative rights) instance of cleanmgr /sageset and check every item in the diologue that opens, then run cleanmgr /sagerun

Also manually cleanout you %temp% folder!

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 6:28 AM
  • Your reply is appreciated!

Today File Explorer reports ELAMBKUP to be 44KB.  Yesterday it reported 21+GB.  All I did was restart the machine due to frustration.  (I find it hard to believe there was ever 21+ GB actually in that folder.)  

Followed your suggestions to show hidden files and folders.  System Protection was already off so no change in that setting.  No change seen in ELEMBKUP.

Ran cleanmgr /sagerun. 

Result of all of the above was a gain of 3 GB of free space to 5.1 GB.  Better but not enough to upgrade to Windows 10 version 1803.  I don't know how to clean %temp%folder 'cause I don't know where it is.  (Dumb me.)

I have no apps to speak of on this machine so I'm forced to use it like a Chromebook.  When I bought it, there was quite of bit of disk space available, like 10+ GB but over time something has taken it over.  

Any further suggestions appreciated!

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 11:20 PM
  • Hi,

You can refer to the following link to clear temporary files:

How to remove temporary files on Windows 10

https://pureinfotech.com/remove-temporary-files-windows-10/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it could be helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 20, 2018 1:29 PM
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply!  I've used these with apparently no success is freeing disk space on the HP notebook.  They do work fine on my desktop machine however.  I was primarily interested in the previous writer's comments about manually emptying the %temp%folder 

Marty

Thursday, December 20, 2018 3:54 PM
  • To find your Temp folder, open Windows Explorer and type %%temp% in the address bar and press Enter, then select all files in the Temp folder and permanently delete those files!

You can also free up more space by running the following command in an elevated command prompt

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

I doubt that you'll be able to upgrade to Windows 10 v1803 by doing an in place upgrade, but you might want to try performing the update through Windows Update, otherwise download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and create installation media, then backup all your personal files and make sure that you have installation media for all your Apps and perform a clean install of Windows 10 v1803!
    Saturday, December 22, 2018 1:20 AM