Computer will not remain in sleep mode RRS feed

• Question

• I am using windows vista home premium. My computer enters sleep mode but awakens within 1 to 10 seconds. How do I find the cause of this problem?

Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:43 PM

Answers

• Hello Bill,

If the problem began to occur after some updates were installed, please let me know the KB number of the update or a scope.

Besides, as similar issues are caused by poor power management, I recommend you to update the drivers for your motherboard and BIOS and double-check the issue again.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:29 AM

All replies

• Hello Sonar,

Thank you for posting!

As the first step, I recommend you to perform a clean boot, in order to troubleshoot the 3rd party application or service that may prevent the system from entering sleep mode. The following KB article is helpful:

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

Please let me know the result if possible. Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 3:05 AM
  • Hello Lionel:

I tried a clean boot. I eliminated all non microsoft software and still had the sleep mode issue. I then eliminated non essential microsoft services. I still had the problem!! It this point it appears to be something within Microsoft Vista or one of the recent updates.

Bill

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:42 PM
  • Hello Bill,

If the problem began to occur after some updates were installed, please let me know the KB number of the update or a scope.

Besides, as similar issues are caused by poor power management, I recommend you to update the drivers for your motherboard and BIOS and double-check the issue again.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:29 AM