Office 2007 Long loading and saving times RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small network with a PC unit running windows 7 HP acting as a fileserver with an attached external hard drive being the primary storage location. It is mapped to about 8 PC's all running windows 7 HP with MS Office enterprise 2007 The users are reporting and I have confirmed extremely long download/load times when opening excel spreadsheets. They have reported when saving a file to the shared drive extremely long wait times and sometimes the program crashes. I have not seen the saving issue or been able to recreate it. If the file is on the local PC then it opens normally. When its from the shared directory it says downloading at the bottom and has a progress bar. Biggest spreadsheet they work with is about 315kb and it sometimes takes upwards of a min to download. 

I have gone through a dozen suggested solutions, gone through the shared settings with a fine tooth comb. Remapped the drive numerous times.  I have uninstalled Office validation, I have enable add ins, disabled all add ins, made registry changes to security keys. I have disabled the anti-virus on both ends. I have ensured that no old network printers or devices are still installed. All windows and office updates have been applied. I am at my whits end on this one. Anyone have any suggestions?

Saturday, February 15, 2014 8:18 PM

Answers

• To be honest with you, You will not get any better speed then this from a USB 2 hard drive. May be better to add extra HD in the server.
    • Marked as answer by 暁北 Monday, February 24, 2014 1:51 PM
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 9:50 PM

All replies

• How does the HD attached with the file server?
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Standard USB 2.0
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 9:27 PM
  • To be honest with you, You will not get any better speed then this from a USB 2 hard drive. May be better to add extra HD in the server.
    • Marked as answer by 暁北 Monday, February 24, 2014 1:51 PM
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 9:50 PM