Unable to access Exchange server from another subnet RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

My exchange server 2016 is running perfectly in my head office. The subnet associated with head office is 172.17.1.0/24. I have added a branch office in the environment with subnet 172.17.2.0/24. Users can access everything from remote office but NOT exchange server. I have done the configured following things.

Installed a new Domain Controller running Windows Server 2016 Standard edition

Created a new site in “Active Directory Sites & Services” and assigned Ip Subnet “172.17.2.0/24”. Newly installed Domain controller resides in this site.

In exchange server both sites are configured under site scope.

Configured Firewall to allow traffic. Users are able to access network shares, printers and rest of the data without any issue.

Users in 172.17.1.0/24 are able to access exchange server using Outlook and OWA

Users in 172.17.2.0/24 are Not able to access Exchange or OWA. Outlook is able to find right URL for Autodiscover but it shows “Timeout” error.

Thanks for your help in advance

Friday, July 26, 2019 5:21 AM

All replies

• Hello

My exchange server 2016 is running perfectly in my head office. The subnet associated with head office is 172.17.1.0/24. I have added a branch office in the environment with subnet 172.17.2.0/24. Users can access everything from remote office but NOT exchange server. I have done the configured following things.

Installed a new Domain Controller running Windows Server 2016 Standard edition

Created a new site in “Active Directory Sites & Services” and assigned Ip Subnet “172.17.2.0/24”. Newly installed Domain controller resides in this site.

In exchange server both sites are configured under site scope.

Configured Firewall to allow traffic. Users are able to access network shares, printers and rest of the data without any issue.

Users in 172.17.1.0/24 are able to access exchange server using Outlook and OWA

Users in 172.17.2.0/24 are Not able to access Exchange or OWA. Outlook is able to find right URL for Autodiscover but it shows “Timeout” error.

Thanks for your help in advance

This isnt an Exchange issue. It doesnt care where the clients are. I would check networking and firewall stuff again. Use Wireshark or Fiddler from the client to see what is happening.

Not sure what this means: In exchange server both sites are configured under site scope.

If you mean autodiscover site scope, there is no reason to do that in your sceanrio

Saturday, July 27, 2019 11:15 AM
  • Let us call 172.17.1.0/24 DC as DC A, 172.17.2.0/24 DC as DC B

Could your ping DC A's IP from DC B successfully?

If you could ping it successfully, you can try to use DC A's IP as DC B NIC‘s DNS server. Then try to ping your Exchange server's FQDN from DC B.

As Andy David said, this is a network issue rather than Exchange issue, you may confirm with network team.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 29, 2019 7:09 AM
  • Hi,

Any update about this thread now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 2, 2019 10:37 AM