External HD won't show up RRS feed

• Question

•  

I had an external Hard disk and it was working fine. I went on to computer manager and wanted to delete the partition and create a new one. I clicked "Delete Volume" and now the drive won't show up at all. What can I do to get the disk back and with a volume?

I need it rather soon as possible and coud not find any answers in anywhere else I tried.

It shows up on device manager, but not as an actual drive on my computer or computer manager becasue it does not have a volume.

I am using Vista Home Premium

Thanks in advance for any help,

Dave

Friday, October 10, 2008 11:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Dave,

Please open Disk Management and check if the external hard drive is shown. Please click Start, in the Start Search box type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter. If the external hard drive is listed, please format it. Then create a partition on the drive.

However, if it is not shown in Disk Management, I suggest that you plug the hard drive to another computer if it is possible. If it is recognized, please format it on that computer and create a partition.

If the issue persists on any other computer either, the boot section of your hard drive may be damaged. In this case you may need to contact the manufacture and repair the section.

Hope it helps.

Monday, October 13, 2008 8:34 AM
  •  

First I managed to fix the problem. I tried plugging the drive into my windows XP machine and it would not show up either, it had to have a volume first. I thought about it and got a partition manager and used it to get the drive back. I formatted it wth it, but after unplugging it and re plugging it in, it still did not show up, so I formatted it again with partition mamager and then quick formatted it with windows vista and it solved the problem. I now have a External 320GB NTFS Hard disk.

Next time I'll format rather than delete volume if I want to format it again. Phew. All I wanted to do was format it from FAT to NTFS, but its done now so I won't make same mistake twice. Glad I had backups of all the work on the drive.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Please open Disk Management and check if the external hard drive is shown. Please click Start, in the Start Search box type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter. If the external hard drive is listed, please format it. Then create a partition on the drive.

However, if it is not shown in Disk Management, I suggest that you plug the hard drive to another computer if it is possible. If it is recognized, please format it on that computer and create a partition.

If the issue persists on any other computer either, the boot section of your hard drive may be damaged. In this case you may need to contact the manufacture and repair the section.

Hope it helps.

Monday, October 13, 2008 8:34 AM
  •  

First I managed to fix the problem. I tried plugging the drive into my windows XP machine and it would not show up either, it had to have a volume first. I thought about it and got a partition manager and used it to get the drive back. I formatted it wth it, but after unplugging it and re plugging it in, it still did not show up, so I formatted it again with partition mamager and then quick formatted it with windows vista and it solved the problem. I now have a External 320GB NTFS Hard disk.

Next time I'll format rather than delete volume if I want to format it again. Phew. All I wanted to do was format it from FAT to NTFS, but its done now so I won't make same mistake twice. Glad I had backups of all the work on the drive.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:34 PM
  • Hi

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved. This information will help people that encounter such issues.

Thanks

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:00 AM