Are these updates needed or not? RRS feed

• Question

• So I have setup WSUS 2012R2 in my lab to learn the ins and outs of this role service. With 4 2012R2 servers and 2 windows 10 machines its seems to be working perfectly. But I have one windows 7 in the environment to mix it up, that machine got updates and from WSUS the first go around but now the win7 client claims its 'up to date', even checking directly online with MS. 

But WSUS still lists 36 more needed.  I spot checked that the update isn't already on the machine.  I've stopped the services (deleted software dist folder) and restarted the service.  I've removed from WSUS and reauthorized / detected.

Any idea's on what could be the explanation to something like this?  Any good places to start?? been googling awhile.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 9:30 PM

All replies

• What are the updates? language updates? on the client, have you chosen to check from Microsoft and checked install updates for other products? in WSUS, what category are the updates?
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 10:16 PM
  • all are listed as "update for win 7 x64-based" newest is 3/1, oldest goes back to 2011 and in between.

doesn't look like language no.

didn't check off other products cause this is just a base install of win7 not much on it.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 10:27 PM
  • so they are not important or crucial updates. so the answer to your original question is no, they are not needed as important or security updates are. i think if you check other products and retry, you might find them in optional updates, they could be drivers related.
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 10:33 PM
  • I am not sure these are other updates, they are windows updates. For example KB2952664 "updates to resolve issues in windows" 3/1.

My client machine has no other options, just that its up to date and check for updates..from either WSus or if I choose MS update site.

That update is not already on the machine, I checked there too.

EDIT:  I stand corrected these may infact be optional updates, now as to why they are not being pulled from wsus   or even having the option on the client.

• Edited by RyGy14 Friday, March 4, 2016 3:19 PM
    Friday, March 4, 2016 3:14 PM