Outlook 2016/365 searches entire mailbox even though folder is selected in search bar and settings RRS feed

• Question

• I would tell you the version I am using, but that now seems to be classified information.  Remember Help --> about that we had for 40 years.  Wait, it's a feature.

I need to search a folder, not the entire mailbox.  But my searches return emails that are not in the folder.  Search folder seems like such a simple thing.  What on earth is going on?

• Moved by Steve Fan Thursday, March 1, 2018 6:56 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 7:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Seattle Matt,

What’s your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

For Exchange account, do you have cached Exchange mode on?

In case there was something wrong with the personal data file, please try repairing date files to see the result. You could refer to this article.

If issue continues, we can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, February 22, 2018 5:44 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, February 23, 2018 12:59 AM
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 5:44 AM
  • Hi,

Does searching work correctly now?

If there are any updates, please don't hesitate to tell me. I'm willing to help.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 23, 2018 9:14 AM