I/O device error RRS feed

• Question

• I get an I/O device error when I try to explore my removable hard drive that is in the F:/ slot.  I used to be able to open the stick but now I can't.  Is there a fix for this?

Saturday, August 9, 2008 9:19 PM

Answers

• Pete

Click Start, select Control Panel / System and Maintenance / System.

In the Tasks pane, click System Protection. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

Click the System Protection tab, click to clear the check boxes of any disks that are listed under Automatic restore points, and then click Turn System Restore Off.

Click Apply. Notice that the Most recent restore point column on all disks now displays None.

Click to select the check boxes of the disks whose check boxes you cleared in the previous step, and then click Apply.

Click Create to create a system restore point. 

In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create. 

When the restore point has been created, click OK.

Reboot and try exploring the drive again.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 10:23 PM

All replies

• Pete

Click Start, select Control Panel / System and Maintenance / System.

In the Tasks pane, click System Protection. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

Click the System Protection tab, click to clear the check boxes of any disks that are listed under Automatic restore points, and then click Turn System Restore Off.

Click Apply. Notice that the Most recent restore point column on all disks now displays None.

Click to select the check boxes of the disks whose check boxes you cleared in the previous step, and then click Apply.

Click Create to create a system restore point. 

In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create. 

When the restore point has been created, click OK.

Reboot and try exploring the drive again.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 10:23 PM
  • Hi,

This issue may be a software/hardware problem, we need to take some steps to narrow down whether it is a hardware issue.

Please take Ronnie’s suggestions first.

Do you have another working computer? If so, please try to plug your removable hard drive to this computer and test this issue.

If this device cannot work on several computers, it may be hardware problem.

Hope it helps.

Monday, August 11, 2008 7:05 AM