none
Comparing two versions of MS Project using the Comm Add in..hours differences not calculating correctly...Tool is using duration fields to store work differences RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am using the compare COM Add-In to do a compare  and the tool is giving incorrect differences for work fields.

I am comparing Baseline work in both versions and the tool uses duration 1 and duration2 to store the hours which is correct. It then uses duration 3 field to store the difference result. However, When it subtracts the difference it stores it in days not in hours. Why is that since this is supposed to be a tool that works?

I am comparing they field WORK in both versions and the tool uses duration 4 and 5 to store the hours and it represents it in hours. It then uses duration 6 field to store the difference result. When it subtracts the difference it stores it in days. Why is that?

What do I need to do to use this utility to show me hours when comparing hours instead of days when it automatically does this. I see that it automatically creates the formula. This is what it auto creates .....       IIf([Number19]>0 And [Number20]>0,[Duration2]-[Duration1],0)

Thanks

Saturday, June 11, 2011 7:52 PM

Answers

• Project displays durations in hours if you change "Duration is entered in:" setting into "Hours" under Schedule tab of Options dialog box in your comparison report. It is set to "Days" by default. I hope this is what you are looking for...

--Ismet

Saturday, June 11, 2011 8:22 PM
  • That's correct. You will see "+ Added" for those tasks. There is a very good article at http://www.lehnertcs.com/pdfs/200703_ezine.pdf by Ellen Lehnert for Compare Project Versions com add-in. It is also possible to search for related postings in the old newsgroup microsoft.public.project.

--Ismet

Saturday, June 11, 2011 11:05 PM

All replies

• Project displays durations in hours if you change "Duration is entered in:" setting into "Hours" under Schedule tab of Options dialog box in your comparison report. It is set to "Days" by default. I hope this is what you are looking for...

--Ismet

Saturday, June 11, 2011 8:22 PM
  • I am comparing both hours and dates NOT just hours. This sets the whole file one way or the other.

This is the only option on theis compare utility?

Also, it looks like if I added items in the newer version of Schedule A such that there is no Unique ID in the older version it does NOT calculate a difference. Why is that?

Thanks

Saturday, June 11, 2011 8:38 PM
  • That's correct. You will see "+ Added" for those tasks. There is a very good article at http://www.lehnertcs.com/pdfs/200703_ezine.pdf by Ellen Lehnert for Compare Project Versions com add-in. It is also possible to search for related postings in the old newsgroup microsoft.public.project.

--Ismet

Saturday, June 11, 2011 11:05 PM